Drills

There's 7 bits in the Irwin set. If anyone wants a set, I've a couple of sets lying round. Mods, please don't whinge.

Sponsored Links
I wouldnt mind, I've heard a bit about these, often I need to drill through wood into brick, I usually use a cheapo bit to go through the wood and mark the wall, then go in with a proper drill + bit. I assume these would cut out the middle man so to speak? Obviously I wouldnt expect them to replace a large sds rotary but Im sure htey have their place. Anyways is there some way to send a private message on here? there usually is on boards such as this but cant find it here!

You try finding a bit in that big set that would even scratch porcelain !!!

Already have and I wasn't sorry. Drilled straight through our bath tiles with ease.

the irwin bits are unusual in that they will drill masonry (incl engineering bricks) without the need for hammer action.

I'm sure they do. Infact, for the price of them, I would expect a lot more than the ability to drill through masonry :rolleyes:. I guess from what you've said above makes the ones in the big set unusual too then ;).

They will also drill wood , metal , ceramics and porcelain.

I don't need to use Irwin. I use the bits in the big set above. Don't need anything else other than that.

less than £11 for a set ( 6 pieces i think) aint that bad value

Erm, I think I got the better deal. I'm talking 300 quality pieces for £16!!!!

Come on seriously, why are you so against black box above? Buy one and see for yourself!

Oh and by the way, I do not work for the company that makes them; I'm just kindly referring them.

eggplant said:
I wouldnt mind, I've heard a bit about these, often I need to drill through wood into brick, I usually use a cheapo bit to go through the wood and mark the wall, then go in with a proper drill + bit. I assume these would cut out the middle man so to speak? Obviously I wouldnt expect them to replace a large sds rotary but Im sure htey have their place. Anyways is there some way to send a private message on here? there usually is on boards such as this but cant find it here!
If you still want a set - e-mail me. Address is in my profile.

Sponsored Links
ok, call me thick if you like ;) but where do I find your profile?

Tozzy said:
Drilled straight through our bath tiles with ease.
Were those tiles ceramic or porcelain?

I'm talking 300 quality pieces for £16!!!!
I'd be surprised if that turned out to be true. For one thing you won't ever use all of those 300 pieces.

Ceramic. Ok I got a bit confused there ;). Sorry.

For one thing you won't ever use all of those 300 pieces.

Well while I don't use them, they will still be as good as new for the future :).

I'd be surprised if that turned out to be true.

How can we know if this is true or not? :confused:

Tozzy said:

Ceramic. Ok I got a bit confused there ;). Sorry.
Hm. So your comparison with the porcelain-cutting ability of the Irwin bits wasn't actually a comparison then...

I'd be surprised if that turned out to be true.
How can we know if this is true or not? :confused:
Hmm, well, time will tell. I agree that it's faintly possible that you're the first person I've every heard of who's bought a case full of [trillions of] bits and accessories and thingies, for next to nothing, and then found them to be durable.

Most tradespeople will, if they don't have the tool they need, dash out and buy the thing that allows them to complete the job. Time is money, but uncompleted jobs aren't, and good tools last.

Do people give you free lunches too? ;)

Tell me Softus, how long would you say that irwin bits would last?

I agree that it's faintly possible that you're the first person I've every heard of who's bought a case full of [trillions of] bits and accessories and thingies

300 pieces ;). 3 types of bit: Metal, Woodboring and masonry. Oh and you get those circular sawblade thingies too. Well, I'm sorry that everyone dislikes what I've bought. It sounds like you won't give them a fair try so you'll never know. All I can say is that I am happy with them. Ok, they won't last forever (like Irwin bits would) but for £16 I'm very happy and even when the bits are blunt and ready to chuck from the chuck, the spacious storage box will remain :).

Do people give you free lunches too?

Not everyone is as generous as my Mother ;).

Tozzy said:
Tell me Softus, how long would you say that irwin bits would last?
I don't use them, so I don't know why you're asking me. :confused:

300 pieces ;). 3 types of bit: Metal, Woodboring and masonry. Oh and you get those circular sawblade thingies too.

Well, I'm sorry that everyone dislikes what I've bought. It sounds like you won't give them a fair try so you'll never know.
Yes, point taken - "trillions" was a mischievous exaggeration.

However, you don't to be quite so uppity - this forum is all about advice, and this is what you're getting. Nobody is insisting that you take the advice.

I haven't tried the specific set that you've bought, but I learned my lesson with a similar purchase a long time ago, and decided that it wasn't worth it.

All I can say is that I am happy with them. Ok, they won't last forever (like Irwin bits would) but for £16 I'm very happy and even when the bits are blunt and ready to chuck from the chuck, the spacious storage box will remain :).
The point is (no pun intended) that wearing out doesn't happen in an instant - a bit that wears out quickly will spend most of its life being less than sharp, and doing a less than ideal job, and doing it less quickly, than a top quality bit.

Tell me Softus, how long would you say that irwin bits would last
I don't use them, so I don't know why you're asking me.

Well if you don't use them, you must be using a cheap set instead just like me then or do you use your finger nails? :eek:

Yes, point taken - "trillions" was a mischievous exaggeration.

It's not a mischievous exaggeration if you are talking about really cheap drill bit sets. You know, like 100 bits for a pound.

However, you don't to be quite so uppity - this forum is all about advice, and this is what you're getting.

Sorry if I seem that way. I just thought that people would like the set and say "Hey you got a good bargain there". Some people did actually. Ah well, can't please everyone I guess ;).

The point is (no pun intended) that wearing out doesn't happen in an instant - a bit that wears out quickly will spend most of its life being less than sharp, and doing a less than ideal job, and doing it less quickly, than a top quality bit.

Well until the big set wears out, I will probably get some Irwin bits or something similar. For now, these are great. No need to get high quality and spend a fortune for something that still does the job.

To be honest, I think another reason I'm happy with them is the fact that I was using some really poor and worn bits from a friend, so I think that is why I appreciate my set so much because I'm comparing my set to the old and blunt ones :p. Anyway, I'll see how I get on :).

Tozzy said:
Well if you don't use them, you must be using a cheap set instead just like me then or do you use your finger nails? :eek:
I really don't follow your logic.

I don't have any Irwin bits, nor do I have any hideously cheap tack that's as soft as cheese.

No need to get high quality and spend a fortune for something that still does the job.
For you, perhaps. For me, high quality is important 'cos I don't want to have to run around buying new bits all the time.

I wish you well Tozzy.

what about for extracting stubborn screws, what kind of corded would do the best job or an expensive cordless?

You pressed the
reply.gif
button instead of the
post.gif
button.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back