Help my shower too hot!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
dont know if this is relevant but yesterday someome! overfilled the kettle and it boiled over and blew the fuse and couple of breakers switched off too including the boiler and shower pump...switched the breakers back on and all seemed fine except need a new kettle...went to have a shower before and there is no cold water coming out but red hot water is..the cold water taps are working but the hot water is very hot..it is a power shower by the way...also the cooker is not working either..have we blown the fuses in the shower and cooker or are thy unrelated and is this a plumbing problem or electical??

Sponsored Links
It sounds like you have a Thermostat gone somewhere if you have a gas boiler it could be the cylinder stat and if you are heating your water up by electric then check the emmersion stat, I would not have thought that it is related just coincidence.

power shower? does it have two seperate pumps and tanks in the loft? Sounds like maybe you have lost power to the cold pump? i would guess you have a breaker still tripped or a fuse gone if your cooker etc is still off to.

thanks for the replies, we have got 2 black tanks in the loft and emmersion heater..the heater feels hot and the pipes do too...the boiler is gas but i turned the heating and water off on the control panel but hours later the hot water is still red hot so much so that it could burn you..for tonight i have turned the emmersion heater off at the breaker..any advise offered would be appreciated...do you think the thermostat has gone wrong somehow?

Sponsored Links
I'm a bit suspicious at the amount of breakers which you say have tripped - the kettle overheating should maybe have tripped an RCD and possibly the MCB for the sockets if it went with a bang. Could the one for the immersion heater have already have been turned off?
Is it normal for you to have both the immersion and the boiler heating the hot water? I only have the boiler heating the water tank, my immersion is only ever used as a backup should the boiler fail.

Sounds like the immersion thermostat has had it if it was still red hot hours later. Potentially dangerous.

Though I would think a mixer / power shower would be able to cancel out even boiling water with loads of cold . . . .

Odd.

As for the cooker, what do you mean by "its not working"? If power was lost to it, you may have to reset the clock to get it working. Especially on modern ones. They will not function until clock is set. Even gas ones.

thanks for replying and spark123 makes sense as i must have assumed the immersion heater breaker had tripped so turned it on..hopefully turning it off will sort this!! will try that...as for the cooker theres no power so i cant set the clock!! Maybe the fuse blew will try changing it see if that sorts it thank you so much guys...will get back if all fails!!!x

Once you have turned it of it is worth having it looked at to make sure the stat is OK, so if your boiler packs in you have a backup!
Is there also not a switch somewhere for turning the immersion on and off.

what kind of cooker do you have? Is it gas, plug in?

If it plugs in, there will be a plug fuse, but if its electric, the only fuse will be the MCB in the consumer unit. ie there is no fuse.

If the immersion thermostat has failed the hot water cylinder can overheat and drive a thermosyphon, heating the cold water storage tank. That would explain the lack of any cold water at the shower.

This is a very dangerous situation. Plastic water tanks are not designed to handle hot water, and can collapse, suddenly flooding the house with a torrent of boiling water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back