help my wall has been fudged!!!!!!!!!!!

I must point out that £6k included the removal of a grassy slope, laying scalps, the new paitio, water feature electrics for wall lighting & topsoil

Sponsored Links
The-brickie said:
So if I charged yo £50 for a wall that looked like that you would be happy? You would accept it cos it was 'only £50'? Well I wouldnt, its never acceptable, if I have made a cock up on price you would still get the best job I can physically do.

It is very difficult for a good tradesman to do a bad job - even if he tried to. So i would not expect you to do a bad job just because you charged less.

You as a tradesman will charge your time at one figure. An apprentice will charge a different rate, a newly qualified person another rate, and a gardener who can do a bit of brickwork will charge another rate.

The end result is that there are potentially four different end products, based on four different skill levels, and four different costs for the particular skill level.

There are two ways to have procured that wall - one is to specify the requirements and ask for a price, the other is to specify a price and get someone to do it for that figure.
So if I only had £50 to spend, then I woul most likely just be able to afford an inexperienced person, who whould potentially do me an inferior quality job - but still an acceptable job at that price point.

One has to look at the job objectively - and not through a bricklayers eyes. To a bricklayer that wall looks crapp, but to a first time buyer office worker, that wall could be just what he wanted, at a price he could afford.

If the OP was paying for an 'olde worlde' effect, then the wall is fine.
If he was paying for a precisely engineered show-piece, then it is not fine.

If he was paying for a flower bed around the side of the garage then it is fine.
If he is paying for a feature to be seen and discussed from the patio, then it may not be fine.

My main concerns are not the appearance, but would be
the apparent use of soft bricks which will stay constantly wet - leading to mould, efflorescence and spalling.
No copings to protect from frost
No apparent lining to keep the wall dry
Soil too far up the fence panel - there should be gravel boards

is it acceptable to remove the soil from the planters and apply a damproof membarane to the wall and the refill with soil? will this prevent the damp?

Also, is there anything that can be done tp prevent damp where the pillars join the garage wall above the DPC???

Sponsored Links
i think you have to look at the end result, regardless of what it is for. It does not look good, it is poorly built and finished. It doesnt make a difference wether its a planter in a garden, it doesnt look pleasent in terms of the finished product. As a customer i wouldnt be happy with that and from a work point of view i wouldnt even produce that free of charge. Im not a brickie, im a landscaper and id be embarressed to produce that.

If its been done as olde worlde its still a pile of ****e.

In relation to your question thompy, take the soil out and give it a few coats of aqua seal and then replace the soil.

Thermo said:
i think you have to look at the end result, regardless of what it is for. It does not look good, it is poorly built and finished. It doesnt make a difference wether its a planter in a garden, it doesnt look pleasent in terms of the finished product. As a customer i wouldnt be happy with that and from a work point of view i wouldnt even produce that free of charge. Im not a brickie, im a landscaper and id be embarressed to produce that.

If its been done as olde worlde its still a pile of s***te.

In relation to your question thompy, take the soil out and give it a few coats of aqua seal and then replace the soil.

Where abouts in Sussex Thermo, you can get a good brickie in to do your work if your near Horsham ;)

down in shoreham, just outside of brighton. I either do my own stuff or ive got a decent brickie ive just started to use now to speed things up. If your down this neck of the woods though give me an e-mail, never hurts to have a few people you can turn to!

rendered????????

ure avin a laff

meeting the contractor to discuss in next few days.
cud really do wiv owt this headache and potential hassle :cry: :cry:

Thermo said:
down in shoreham, just outside of brighton. I either do my own stuff or ive got a decent brickie ive just started to use now to speed things up. If your down this neck of the woods though give me an e-mail, never hurts to have a few people you can turn to!

I'm staying (and working) in Horsham now, do you advertise around here, seen your ad design somewhere...

Thompy, dont take any nonsense, the wall rubbish and you want it done properly or not at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back