help my wall has been fudged!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Yup thats rough, good example of what not to do when jointing as well, a topic discussed the other day, in pic 4, perps not top and tailed.

How big is it/how many bricks are in it?

The bottom of the fence panel will be rotted if the earth is against the panel

15.jpg

Sponsored Links
the soil just covers the base panels of the fence.

What do you reckon to the brickwork that you can see???

very very rough. Joints all different sizes, courses dont carry through at corners, stains across front of brickwork....pants.

there should have been protction to the back wall ie the garage as well, youre going to get damp problems through there and as masona says the bottom of that panel will go in no time

the pointing to the slabs appears to be done in a different mix to the pointing on the rotunda as well.

ok, the wall ain't no oil painting but it does serve a practical purpose. i'm sure every brickie on this forum has had to lay wet bricks, or has had to include the odd 'christmas joint' in his brickwork at one time or another.

i will say, the wall or planter is ugly by design more than anything. and that the lack of any type of coping makes the wall look unfinished.

did you design this feature?

did you pay large sums of money for it?

did you provide a sketch or drawing?

are you trying to avoid paying for work done?

Hey Softus? Is that rising damp I see? Thought it didn't exist?

Its alright posting some pictures of a wall and asking people to criticise, it but what exactly is the OP complaining about?
"It's not very good" is not really a valid statement

It certainly is not perfect, but this has to be judged in context of the contract between the OP and landscaper, and the price.

It is no good assessing the wall against BS 5628, it is after all a small garden wall done by a landscaper.

I've seen a lot worse, and unless the OP has some specific concerns and can advise what the contract, price and expectations were, then the standard can not be critisied

£10 or £100. The question is was it cheap rubbish or expensive rubbish. You dont pay Ford prices if you want Bentley quality.

Most landscapers I know use brickies for brickwork, this is certainly not done by a tradesman. So as woody said, what was the quote for and what was expected. Then you may have a complaint or live with it. Dont forget it will be a lot more expensive to re-build. Not just for a tradesman but for demolishing and removal of old materials and supply of new.

no i am not trying to get out of paying, and i resent the question.
This is part of a £6k job that was designed by the contractor.
Everything else has been fine, but the wall has been taken down once already!!

WHAT YOU ARE SEEING IS THE 2ND ATTEMPT BY A SPECIALLY HIRED IN SUB BRICKIE (ALLEDGEDLY)

It was only because the bricklayer who is emplyed by the conservatory company asked if i had done it led us into the discussion and his comments.

He says that the joints in the corners may affect the stability, he is sure we will get damp in the garage where the unprotected walling is above the DPC in the garage. In summary an untidy job, in particular the varying size of the joints and lack of joint continuity. And if you are wondeing, no he is not touting for work!!!

I don't agree that it can be classed as rubbish.

You as a brickie may have made a better job, I would have too, but that is not to say that the OP did not get an acceptable job for the price paid.

It's no good telling the OP that it is rubbish and let him go and complain to the builder, when we don't know all the details.

There are so many variables to consider before the OP can make a justified complaint that the wall "is not very good". Or before others can say it is "rubbish".

Ahem, rubbish, rubbish, rubbish, people like that should not be allowed to work on others poeples houses, 6k, he should of had a qualified brickie in for that money.

So if I charged yo £50 for a wall that looked like that you would be happy? You would accept it cos it was 'only £50'? Well I wouldnt, its never acceptable, if I have made a cock up on price you would still get the best job I can physically do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back