Help needed on fitting new ceiling light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have just bought a new ceiling light to replace an existing one. The existing unit is a simple hanging cord with a bulb holder, the new one is a low-voltage track with a built in transformer.

The exisiting light fitting has four live cables going into it, two neutral cables and two earths (all of the above are wired into screw down terminals). There is only one light switch for the light as far as I know (small box room).

The new light requires a single live, neutral and earth. How do I know which ones of the above to use when they were all wired in...?

Any advice appreciated - thanks in advance,

Roop

Sponsored Links
easiets way is

remove the hanging lamp and its flex, (note my signature) canhge the flex to a 3 core and reconnect as it wa, but now also the earth.

connect flex to new light fix light to ceiling.

advantages:

its easy to do

no complicated wiring

often no room in "new fangled lights" (not much required now anyway)

If / when you cahnge your mind its very easy to put lamp back onto flex which is still there

Thanks for the fast reply - Sounds like a plan...! That said I don't know if the new fitting will go over the existing one with all the wires going into it. I will have to see. Will have another look now and post back on my findings...!

Thanks again,

Roop

i never said the new light should go over the old one, perhaps i wasnt clear enough.

the new light goes NEXT to the existing ceiling rose

Sponsored Links
It looks like that is the way to go if I do it myself, although If I can avoid keeping the original fitting that would be better as it will look much neater of course.

Hrm, will ask the missus about this and if she wants the existing rose to go then I think I will get a proper sparky in as I don't know enough to sort out all those wires. Bah. Why do easy jobs always go like this...? How many wires do you need for a flippin' light...? :LOL:

OK. All done. I took the original rose off then rewired it using connector blocks and it's all good. Looks nice. Thanks for your help :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back