Help needed on wiring in ceiling rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm trying to put a new light up( have done a few) and am struggling with my ceiling rose. I have 2 cables( so assume last in sequence), both twin and earth but no marked sleeve. I've tested them and one cable has power to both brown and blue, where do I go from here? Thanks

Sponsored Links
What are you measuring power with?

If you have taken down the old rose without making note of what was where, you will need a continuity tester to do this safely, but because you only have two cables, it's SUPER easy

Just a standard electricians screwdriver. I have tried all combinations. One light works outside but no others

Just a standard electricians screwdriver.
At best misleading, at worst dangerous.

You need a proper 2-pole tester.

I have tried all combinations.
Electrical installation work by guessing, by trying random combinations hoping to hit on the right one by luck is an extraordinarily foolish idea.
A genuine understanding of how it works, genuinely knowing what you are doing etc is essential.

PLEASE take the time to acquire the necessary skills - once you know what you are doing (and have proper test equipment) you'll have no trouble getting the light to work.

Sponsored Links
You will need a cheap multimeter that can measure continuity to correct this then.

The screwdriver is probably lying to you.

Is this the only light controlled by this switch? Or is there more than one?

You might have your neutrals looped at the switch (check in the back of the switch for blues grouped together in a connector block)

Not looped at the switch:

With a multimeter set to continuity (ohms) and the power off test between each cable (live to neutral) operate the switch, and when you find continuity between a pair of cables - this is your switch wire.

Put the brown into the loop section of your ceiling rose along with the other brown. Put the blue from your switch wire into the live for the lamp holder (sleeve it brown) and then put the blue into the neutral with your lamp holder.

Looped at the switch:
Put the blues into neutral, and the browns into live.

Just a standard electricians screwdriver. I have tried all combinations. One light works outside but no others

Throw that useless thing away and get yourself a multimeter (not more than a fiver in lots of places). Then you'll stand a chance of sorting it out.

The drawings in the WIKI will tell you how to connect it.

But, how does
One light works outside but no others
relate to a ceiling rose. A ceiling rose is usually associated with an indoors, pendant light fitting.

Is there more that you should be telling us, maybe?

Thanks guys, will obtain said tester, it is only one light and behind the switch is just the 2 wire, live and neutral, will give it a go

A picture (either drawn or, preferably, a photo) of the wiring in the rose would be very helpful

Thanks guys, will obtain said tester, it is only one light and behind the switch is just the 2 wire, live and neutral, will give it a go
Very unlikely to be a live and neutral behind the switch - more likely live and switch live. Hope you have an earth wire as well.
Best you re-read the wiki articles referred to above before carrying out anymore work on this ceiling rose.
Do you know how to use a multi-meter?

behind the switch is just the 2 wire, live and neutral, will give it a go

What do you think would happen if it was a live and neutral, and you flipped the switch? BANG, that's what!

I think you definitely need to do a bit of reading to understand how a circuit works. It does sound like the ceiling rose is the 'end of the line', which should make things simpler for you.

Hi, connect your lamp across one cable at a time, the cable that lights the lamp is L+N (supply). If the lamp does not light that will be L +SL.

Regards,

DS

Ok, power off, switch off, got a bleep from one cable but not the other, but with the switch on, get a bleep from both cables? Help!!!

What is it that is "bleeping"?

And how can you validly use the term "both cables" when there are 6 conductors there?

Which conductors are you testing where, with respect to what, and with what?

I told him to test between live and neutral.

What kind of multimeter did you get? A cheapo one?

You might just be getting a false positive on the L-N on the first cable that beeped due to lamps being connected elsewhere in the circuit.

The cable that only beeps with the switch closed is your switch wire, so follow my previous instructions and you should be good to go

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back