Help needed wiring a replacement double light switch (old configuration to new)

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi folks. Im not knowledgeable about such things and any advice would be appreciate. As shown in photos there are just 4 wires for a double light switch. All of them are red with a gray outer casing and connected directly into the top 4 terminals. There is a bridge wire at the bottom as you can seen not sure of its purpose. If any one knows and can advice on how to transfer the wiring to corresponding terminals on the new switch that would be a great help. Cheers. Tom

Attachments

• IMG_1976.JPG
    IMG_1976.JPG
    207.2 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_1973.JPG
    IMG_1973.JPG
    312.5 KB · Views: 444
Sponsored Links
All wires connected to Com on old switch go to L on new switch so link between the two L's and two central wires.
The two outer wires connected to two way on old switch go one each into the L1 terminals on new switch.
The L2 terminals have nothing in them.

Sponsored Links
Excuse my ignorance but is that the purpose of the link piece of wiring Bernard? to earth it..or is there anything else I can do to to earth the switch..and yeap it is a metal fronted. Cheers

No. Is there a green and yellow wire connected to the back box?
If there is it must be instead connected to the switch earth terminal.
upload_2019-3-14_17-19-45.png

If there isn't, then you cannot use a metal switch.

I have never seen a switch like that.
Before you do anything else (if not too late) remove the link and see if the switches still work.

Also (if not too late) mark the wires so they don't get muddled up.

You are in Ireland. You are not allowed to do electrical work. It is a criminal offence there. Call in an electrician as you don't appear to even know what an earth is.

Winston may not be correct about the law and criminal offences, but your comment about the link does suggest you may lack some knowledge essential for doing the task.

Quoting from https://www.hsa.ie/eng/Topics/Electricity/Inspection_and_Testing/Works_Needing_Certification/

The 2006 Act draws a distinction between two different classes of electrical works i.e Controlled Works and Restricted Works. The scope of “Controlled Works” and “Restricted Work” has been developed by the Commission for Energy Regulation.

Therefore whilst decisions on a number of the types of installations considered above are relatively straightforward, others are more complex.

“Like for like” replacements of switches, sockets, lighting fittings and/or additions to an existing circuit is frequently carried out in this country. While this must also be in compliance with the Technical Rules, these types of electrical works sit outside the Defined Scope of Controlled Works or Restricted Works.

My thanks for the advice bernard and EFLimpudence ..have reverted to old non metal switch.

Last edited:
Your original switch looks a bit like a double set of intermediate or cross-over switches. Can you advise on the markings at each terminal, and whether the switches operate two discrete and independent lighting circuits.

Jackrae..this was actually an old double house light switch operating two lights in a hall and bathroom installed in 1967, independent of one another. The 4 terminals in the centre are all marked as common..the 4 terminals on the outer sides have no markings at all..it also says "two way" above the 250v marking. (a volex product) The bridge wire between the two common terminals confused me but I forgot that there was a ceiling fan (never used) installed a few years ago with its own on off switch on the ceiling and which had to be turned on by one of the switches for the lights . I am not well informed about electronics and could not figure the purpose of the bridge wire but in rewiring a replacement new plastic fronted light switch i noticed that without the bridge between common terminals the light and the fan circuit would not work...anyhow hope there is an answer somewhere in this for you. Cheers

In view of what you have said, I assume this is the arrangement:

upload_2019-3-17_0-51-55.png

As such, the Permanent live to fan should be in L along with the link; not in L2 if you have put it there.

Thank you for this visual explanation and yes i have not got it in L2 but L with link. ok, have ye a good one EFL.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back