help needed with tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, I took the wc out of the cloackroom. and its now base except for the basin and radiator.

I bought some tiles and tile adhesive(mapie) from tile Giant.

I mixed the adhesive and put some of tiles on, well about 10 big tiles and my lines are not so straight. The rest of the adheisive started to harden up, so I just went outside for a fag and was too ****ed off to finish.

Question is can I restart again by removing the tiles ?. this might end up damaging the plasterboard or should I just carry on and make the rest as straight as possible.?

Is there any good ready mix adhesive I can use cos im not too keen on the mapie beign darkgrey hence causing a lot of mess?, maybe its just me :)

cheers

cooa99

Sponsored Links
Hi Cooa99,

From what you have said, I would take off the tiles you have already fixed and start again. If you are careful you wont do too much damage to the plasterboard behind the tiles - I would use a scrapper with a 6inch blade. Try to avoid using a chisel to chip off as you will probably end up making holes in the plasterboard.

You will find it very hard to get the rest of your tiles straight if you continue from the tiles you have already fixed.

If you do remove the tiles - try to do it asap as the adhesive will harden over time, you will find it much harder to get them off in a weeks time than if you do it a day after you fixed the tiles

You may well damage the plasterboard but I would still strip them off & start again, repairing or replacing the PB as necessary. Once your out of alignment, it’s almost impossible to bring it back & it will look awful but do it sooner rather than later as advised.

Nothing wrong with Mapie, it’s a good quality trade adhesive; unfortunately it’s your preparation & technique letting you down. I assume your applying adhesive to the wall & not the back of the tile? Did you start tiling from a straight & level batten? Did you use tile spacers? It might pay you to take some time out to read the tiling forum sticky.

If you’re using large/heavy format tiles you should not use tub mix adhesive. Powder mix adhesive only has a pot life of around 45 minutes so never mix up more than you can use in, say, 30 minutes to allow you time to clean out your bucket & wash your tools before mixing the next batch; failure to clean down properly will mean the next mix will go off even more rapidly.

Hi guys,
I am ashamed to say that since removing the tiles about 2 years ago and replacing plasterboards of the damaged sections,I have just left the cloakroom without doing anything to it :oops:

So my aim is to have it all tiled by end of the year!.

I have pipes running along 3 walls as show in the pictures below and need ideas as to how i should do the tiling.

Should I tile from the floor and behind pipes? or tile from above the pipes ? or what?

Please note that 2 of the walls are side walls hence not much space behind the plasterboards ...

Thanks

cooa99

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back