Help needed with weight issue on wooden record storage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm building this DIY dj / record storage unit for a friend. It's going to be made in the four main sections highlighted in white so it can be dismantled into these parts and moved.

I am concerned about the top section though. Anyone who owns records will be aware of the incredible weight those four suspended boxes will be so I need a solution to bear some of that weight. I'm thinking either some heavy gauge angle iron (boxed in) or some large L shape brackets along the wall.

Anyone had similar experience or any good advice?

Thanks for any help...

Janski

View media item 20667

Sponsored Links
If all the vertical dividers are firmly fixed you will have what is often termed a " Torsion box" this will be far less likely to sag than just a shelf made of the same material. Combine this with a screwed on back and theat whole top section will be very rigid.

Jason

yes the bridge section will be the problem area but as jason says use at least 6mm back well affixed your deflexion will be minimal at the back [1-2mm] and a touch more at the front [about 6-8mm]

just make shure your tv is a minimum off 50mm clear off the underneath both for ventilation and to stop you noticing if it does sag also stops it rubbing if its to close

Thanks for this. I'll make sure everything is well attached and well backed. I will probably affix something to the wall too just to be extra sure.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
a shallow lip under those shelves ( ie 1 1/2 -2 inch strip of the shelf material ) would add support at the front, and allow for a light or two to illuminate the Hi-Fi..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back