help no central heating again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all i am having more problems with my potterton 80e again. It started intermitantly not flaming up now wont ignite at all. When you turn on the hot water tap or the central heating you can hear the pump start up but no green flame led iluminates and the pump just keeps running until you switch it of, initially after a few attemps it would flame but not now it seems to have given up completely. Does anybody have any ideas hopefully this wont be an expensive repair :cry:

Sponsored Links
check the connection on the pcb as you drop down the control panel. it sometimes works loose as its pushed slightly sideways by the overheat stat.

Sponsored Links
i have just pulled down the control pannel then the pcb pannel then tried it and it worked the boiler has now fired up. When the fault happens there doesnt seem to be any sparking. Do you think this could be a sticking relay? if so does that mean i would have to repalce the board or can you resolder one into position?

my experience is the white connector plug (5 PIN) i think, bends and causes loose connection.leave the panel down and see if it runs o.k

The 5 pin plug at the left hand side with the panel pulled down did apear to be not quite pushed home as much as the others i have refitted the plug and i will see how it goes, i will update later to let you know if this has fixed the problem. Thanks for your help, fingers crossed my other half and 2 year old son can now put the blankets and hot water bottles away now :D

:evil: hi refitting the plug didnt help heating worked ok for a day then today same fault again. Refitting the plug must have been a coincidence, can anyone please help me?

hi ive just read about pcb failures but cant seem to see any signs of any burnt out pins could this be my problem?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back