help!!! no heating or hot water!!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all....can anyone help?
We have a standard old school system of storage tank and expansion tank in loft. Directly underneath in the airing cupboard lives the hot water cylinder and pump ( GRUNDOS UPS 15-45x18 model 1A ) with boiler in the kitchen ( Olympic 28/50CF )...
Yes its old and we are changing the whole system after Chrimbo but till then we don't want to freeze!!! just want to get it working again....so....we tried the heating after the summer break and all was well for a few days but now we have no heating or hot water.
I have checked for air blockages in rads but all is good.
I have checked the pump and it seems to be spinning freely and its speed switch seems ok.
The pilot light is lit ok.
Info - There is No 3 way switch incorprated into this central heating set up.
The water levels in the tanks seem good.

When the boiler thermostat is switched from position 1 through to 5 you can hear the microswitch click but the system just doesn't fire up!

As the pump seems ok should I start at the boiler thermostat as the first probable cause of problem??
Any info or ideas would be gratefully received......cos its getting chilly!!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
cheers chaps.....
gas valve knob? there is no gas valve knob! I assume you mean gas valve as in 3 way switch!! there is no 3 way in this system, was an optional extra that was never installed!
The only gas valve of any description is to be found in the workings of the boiler!

i know i will have to get an expert on the case....just wondered if i could explore the obvious before i start shelling out ......

Sponsored Links
I said gas knob because that what I meant!

Has anyone relit a pilot light lately?

Tony

I expect the knob has to be returned to the operate position after relighting the pilot!

You may check that because its a user control!

Tony

Did you check and move around a bit with all the controls calling for heat?

Are you sure you know which position it needs to be in to run?

Tony

checked and double checked.... all is as it should be with regards knobs,switches,controls etc...... even with timer set to constant, selector set to heating and with boiler thermostat control manually set from 1 through to 5 nothing fires up other than the sound of the thermostat micrositch clicking past the number 1 setting!!

Is there power at the boiler when system is calling for heat? These boilers are pretty simple, 240v is sent to boiler when system is calling for heat, boiler fires. If power available, pilot is lit, but boiler still doesnt fire then it's time for a RGI.

cheers.....
yup, seems to be power there, pilot is lit and nowt is happening.
Guessed i would need to call RGI...was hoping to find the source of prob without forking out big bucks!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back