Help-peeling paint

this problem could have been prevented if the plasterer left the pva too dry out a bit before apply the skimmed coat?
It was why I asked for a detail explanation of what the guy did. PVA is used extensively to control suction & as a bonding agent when plastering but you should not start plastering until it’s gone tacky; dousing the wall with PVA until it’s dripping wet & then sloshing plaster over it will always give problems but I would not call that migration, more a case of stirring it in with the skim!

Sponsored Links
thanks for your replies, i didnt actually do the plastering myself-we employed a so called professional to do the job so i cant really say how he used the pva, i only know that he used it really. there were some patches of slightly darker looking plaster on the walls as you have suggested thougyh, has anyone any experience of using dulux plaster sealer for new bare walls?

I definitely don't much about plastering, but I can share our own experience. I live in the US, so I don't know much about the UK building rules etc.
Our bathroom had a severe problem with the paint peeling away (our home was 3 years old then which is unusual). With help from our local hardware store (Home Depot) we pulled the sheetrock and re-install water/mildew resistant sheetrock. We washed the walls with 1/4 ammonia and 3/4 water. Let it dry thoroughly, and then paint with mildew resistant high gloss paint. So far we haven't had any more problems. (2 years) One thing I did different is: I have been changing my shower curtain liners every 2-3 weeks. It seems to help...I am told that mold and mildew are common problems in the bathroom that is why the paint peels.
I hope this helps.

Romona,
Publisher

Sponsored Links
this problem could have been prevented if the plasterer left the pva too dry out a bit before apply the skimmed coat?
It was why I asked for a detail explanation of what the guy did. PVA is used extensively to control suction & as a bonding agent when plastering but you should not start plastering until it’s gone tacky; dousing the wall with PVA until it’s dripping wet & then sloshing plaster over it will always give problems but I would not call that migration, more a case of stirring it in with the skim!
Good point Richard. I just had it one time on a Skim - over artex @ my last house. My boy did it and he was learning ;) . Zinsser got over it a treat. It wasn`t quite as bad as you describe , but obviously a "bad go" like you get when learning any trade- I`m not going to mention any of my plumbing ones :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back