Help Please - New Outdoor Light Fixture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I need to replace an old (20+ years) bulkhead light fixture on my balcony with a new one, but am having an issue.

The old fixture had red, black and earth wires (see 1st image), and the new one only has a blue and brown wire (no earth)(see 2nd image). I'm aware that the red and brown are live and need to be connected to each other and that the blue and black are neutral and need to be connected to each other, but what do I do with the earth? Note that the new light fixture is all plastic (LINK).

Also, there doesn't appear to be a junction box in either of them. Would I need to get one? If yes then I can pick one up from Screwfix, but could you please tell me which one?

Thanks,
Ducky

View media item 107818
View media item 107819

Sponsored Links
Didn't your old light fitting have a terminal block that you could use ?
Is there a back plate that came with the new fitting ?
I can't see how what you have shown us being suitable for external use ,there doesn't appear to be anything to prevent water ingress ??

Thanks @terryplumb. See answers below.

Didn't your old light fitting have a terminal block that you could use ?

No unfortunately not. The wires went straight into a bulb fixture.

Is there a back plate that came with the new fitting ?

Yes, it's that metal X shaped piece that is attached to the wall in the first image of my first post.

I can't see how what you have shown us being suitable for external use ,there doesn't appear to be anything to prevent water ingress ??

If you look at the link in my first post, it says that it's for external use.

Thanks
Ducky

Sponsored Links
The fitting is ip65, but i am quessing they are expecting the installer to provide there own waterproof connection remote from or behind the fitting, to connect there 2 core flex to your household wiring

The fitting is ip65, but i am quessing they are expecting the installer to provide there own waterproof connection remote from or behind the fitting, to connect there 2 core flex to your household wiring

Ok...:unsure::unsure:... So what do I need to buy and do? :unsure:

You will not be able to fit that piece of junk into the position that you have fixed the bracket currently. You will need to take the supply cable into a waterproof junction box,and the new lamps cable into the junction box too.
Sealing all the holes in the wall too.
Can you show a pic of where the fittings cable exits the fitting , or a shot of the complete back of the fitting ?

Connect the L, N and earth into a three terminal choc block in the waterproof box and just connect the L and N of the light, to the L and N in the choc block.

It is always good practice to drill a small hole at the lowest point of any sealed box or fitting, to allow for drainage of any water which does find a way in to it.

Screwfix code 14556 is a waterproof Junction box, comes with terminal block ,but the terminals are a bit large for the small cables you have ,so buy a 5 amp connector block strip ,and use 3 off the strip.

Thanks @terryplumb and @Harry Bloomfield

The waterproof junction box that you suggested wouldn't fit in the void behind the light fixture, which is only about 2.5cm deep. Any suggestion for something that will?

Thank you again and apologies for all the questions, just want to make sure that I get the correct product.

The waterproof JB ,isn't supposed to fit behind the fitting,but above it.
I doubt you will find one small enough to fit at the back of your fitting. Having said that I have never looked for one , hopefully another member may be able to suggest one.

00 what he said.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back