Help please....thermostatic shower turned to a dribble

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
This morning my thermostatic bar mixer shower (poss from B&Q - it came with the house) turned from it's regular flow to a dribble, mid shower. I think it is around 4 years old.

Is it fixable, or should I just change it for a Grohe (had one at the last house - marvellous)?

I have a hot water tank, waiting for a combi boiler to be installed.

Any help much appreciated, can't really manage without a shower

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Its either running out of water (loft tank running dry) or the thermostatic cartridge inside is calling it a day......there are also filters in the hot and cold supply but blockage is unlikely here.
You may be able to identify your shower from the diagrams at Showerdoc if you decide on the repair route.
John :)

Thanks John

Other taps in the house are running ok, so it must be the cartridge. I will look at the Showerdoc to see whats what. May be just best buying a new one, rather than trying to repair it - I don't really like B&Q bathroom fittings - don't even ask about the sink plug lol.

Presumably the old one would come off the wall and a new (prob Grohe) fit straight on, size wise? Once I can find the isolators of course

Many thanks

Kath

Well, thats the million dollar question Kath!
Most showers with a bar mixer have connections that are offset, and therefore do have some leeway to fit.
If there is access to behind the shower valve, then thats so much easier.
Personally, a new cartridge is the easiest thing to do - especially if there is tiling involved. Perhaps a photo would help with the identification of the shower? Cartridges are quite expensive - £80 or so is normal.
If you do decide to go ahead, then you need a shower that will work at less than 0.2 bar - thats 2 metres between the bottom of the loft tank and the top of the shower head. However, a change to a combi boiler (mains pressure) may not suit that choice of new shower.
If you can find the shower isolators, then so much the better.
Tell me - does the shower get huffy after running for the same duration of time? Just trying to rule out any blockage in the feed pipes.
If you can isolate the shower and remove the cartridge, its always a good idea just to let the water run to clear any garbage out before refitting the cartridge.

Sponsored Links
Thanks John

Just tested it again, there is def hot and cold water coming through, it's the force of it that's wrong. It just changed this morning mid shower.

If you need any other pics just let me know and I''ll have a go. Can't get behind the wall, due to tiling and can't access it from the other side either.

Haven't looked for isolaters yet.

No huffing.

Hmmm I thought that price for the cartridge (after a bit of research) so thought I may just change the whole thing if possible.

[/img]

Thanks

Kath

That does look like one of the simpler installations Kath, and you may see that the water connections coming out of the mixer bar appear to be 'dog legged' so adjustment is possible.
Presumably the shower has worked properly in the past?

Yes it was ok til this morning. I've only lived here 3 months, so assuming it was okay before then.

If I do change it I was thinking of going for a Grohe 34154 or something, although I haven't got as far as looking at mains and combi compatibility.

Kath

You'll not beat Grohe, but Aqualisa and Mira are also good and they do have their spares act together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back