Help please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, new to this so here goes- ive just purchased 6 240v 50w spots and was wondering whats the best way to fit these i assume just remove the wiring from the origanal light and connect this up to the first spot and continue the circuit round to all 6? Can someone please explain how to do this please in a relatively simple terms oh and my house wiring is as old as bread.

Sponsored Links
if your wiring is THAT old you may need it rewiring.

see the for refernce section how to wire your lights

is as old as bread.

That must be one piece of mouldy bread, even if the wiring is relatively new in most cases.

Either that or you shouldn't buy new wiring every three days. Once every 25 years is plenty enough.

Sorry, It took me a while to understand that, these weird things we say in English. On further thought maybe it means old as the concept of bread.

In which case our pagan forefathers must have been damn good electricians.

But yeah, if you need to replace it when changing lamps, and can tell that immediately, your house will almost certainly need rewiring.

Ok so my wiring is not as old as the invention of bread but still how do i go about this task of wiring these 6 spots up?

Sponsored Links
cant find anything that really answers my question. i have the wiring going into my ceiling rose and i want to use this wire and connect up 6 50w spots but how do i do this?

If you can't find what you need either by looking in reference section or by searching the many posts, then you have fallen at the first hurdle.

Fraser
I'll try and be a bit more helpful...
As the lights are 240v, it is simply a case of deciding if a parallel or star connection would be best. Refer to the Reference section, and study the diagrams for both systems.
Say you select the parallel connection method. Essentially, you need to feed from the old fitting connections in the rose (neutral (all blacks) and the switched live (red or black with a red sleeve).
You may want to lose the original ceiling rose, in which case you'll need to reconnect above ceiling level using junction box.
Hope that helps..

paralell / star either way they will be connected in paralell, its just the lay out will be different (as shown in for reference)

the thing is i have to agree with securespark, the origonal poster said
cant find anything that really answers my question

if he can not figure it out from what is in the for reference, what cahnce has he of doing it right?

vague quote from tv series, "the clues are there"

OK. first off, at the moment do you have a rose on the ceiling for the existing light? If you do, then it contains the connections for the lighting circuit, as detailed in the sticky post top of this forum. If you are happy to leave this in place, then you need to take a cable back up through the ceiling to each of the new lights in turn.

If you do not want to keep the rose, then you will have to lose it inside the ceiling void. This will involve making a hole in the ceiling, or lifting a board above it, to insert a junction box to do the same thing.

You have to get the connecting cable through the ceiling to the new light positions. This is relatively easy along the joists, but more tricky where you cross them. Again this may require lifting boards above to drill holes through centre of joists and thread cables.

What are these spotlights like? Do they mount into the ceiling, or on it? Do they have space inside for making connections to run the cable on to the next lamp, or will you have to use another junction box in the ceiling?

Damocles said:
OK. first off, at the moment do you have a rose on the ceiling for the existing light? If you do, then it contains the connections for the lighting circuit, as detailed in the sticky post top of this forum. If you are happy to leave this in place, then you need to take a cable back up through the ceiling to each of the new lights in turn.

If you do not want to keep the rose, then you will have to lose it inside the ceiling void. This will involve making a hole in the ceiling, or lifting a board above it, to insert a junction box to do the same thing.

You have to get the connecting cable through the ceiling to the new light positions. This is relatively easy along the joists, but more tricky where you cross them. Again this may require lifting boards above to drill holes through centre of joists and thread cables.

What are these spotlights like? Do they mount into the ceiling, or on it? Do they have space inside for making connections to run the cable on to the next lamp, or will you have to use another junction box in the ceiling?

Thanks for your help, the lights im going to be fitting are going into a bedroom so its loft work, i want to basically get rid of the light fitting thats all. As for the lights they mount onto the ceiling rather that in them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back