HELP! Post removal.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've fitted 2 8ft 10" posts having spent a day for each to dig out post and concrete with 12" and 18" bolster chisel. Back breaking.
I've got one more post and look where it is. I had a new patio layed last year. The decking in the attached photos are my neighbours.
How the hell do I get this one out?
I'm all for hiring a power tool to get this sucker out. It nearly killed me with the other 2. This one is a challenge and I need help. Please.
Ideally I'd love a very long bolster chisel on the end of a power tool. Thanks

Attachments

• 20200804_182208.jpg
    20200804_182208.jpg
    533.4 KB · Views: 259
  • 20200804_182244.jpg
    20200804_182244.jpg
    677.2 KB · Views: 254
  • 20200804_182226.jpg
    20200804_182226.jpg
    646.2 KB · Views: 248
Sponsored Links
perhaps you should saw it off and put in a new post in a better position.

BTW, wooden posts will always rot. Consider using either a concrete post, or a concrete spur that you can bolt your wooden post to, above ground level.

Although you have had some practice at digging out posts, next time you will be a few years older.

Before I decided to do the task myself a fencing contractor said about leaving the post there and putting one alongside it. But in time this post will need to be replaced and removing it would leaving the cut around the slab that patio layer made to fit around post. I need a higher post for new fencing so it's to low and a post further up might to be far for cross rail as distance between posts might be too far. Ideally I'd like to remove it.
No way could I remove it by just a chisel and hammer. I would need a power tool with a very long bolster chisel. I could cut post as low as I could to get easier access to concrete surrounding it but of course talking 2 foot deep of concrete. A slim power tool with a 30 inch bolster chisel maybe?

Sponsored Links
if you put another wooden post in, it too will rot.

Is that what you want?

if you put a new post in, how long a rail would you need to fit the new gap?*

*this is a rhetorical question, because whatever length you say, I will reply "you can buy a piece of wood that long."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back