Help. Power cut. Now heating not working. BRRRRR!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Earlier today some idiot with a digger cut a power line and all of the power in the area went off (including our tropical fish tank - argh!) and alarm systems went into overdrive driving us crazy all afternoon. The power eventually came back on but now we cannot get our central heating to work. We have an Ideal Mini C28. Anyone got any ideas what we need to do? Can't afford a plumber/electrician call out (and don't see why we should as we didn't cause it!)

Sponsored Links
May only require a reset. Get your manual out. I can't remember off the top the procedure.

Yeah, you were right! Diagnostic said no gas supply so we rang emergency gas number. They sent an engineer around to test supply, pressure etc. Just turned gas off then on again and it started working again. (thank goodness!)

Toasty warm now. Thanks.

You were lucky they came at no charge!

Generally on your model you need to press the red button if the red lockout light is on.

Alternatively if green light flashing fast turn right knob to "O" position for 10 secs.

If that does not restore normal service then remove mains power to boiler for 20 secs.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I will be annoyed if they do charged as I only rang them to see if there had been an interruption to my supply. It was British Gas who said they would send someone round to do a safety check, I didn't ask for one.

Thanks for the instructions. We'll take note for next time. We do have the instructions but are no experts. Something we seem to keep having problems with is loss of pressure. On my last boiler it was just a case of turning a screw until it reached a bar then turning it back again. On this model we don't have a clue so the last couple of times we have had to call an engineer. This time we can't afford it unfortunately.

How can you pay an engineer to top up the pressure without seeing how its done or getting him to show you?

I always show people how to do it but some, mostly women, choose to forget.

Tony

I'm actually better at these things than my husband (I learnt from my dad). But our system is in a very awkward small, dark cupboard. It's barely big enough for one person to get in and certainly not two. The engineer just said any problems give him a ring but this time of year he's in demand and hard to get hold of, especially for small jobs like that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back