Help removing old bath taps - Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm struggling to remove some very old bath taps. Access is tight, I can remove the tap connectors but the back nuts are bigger than my 32mm box spanner, has anyone any idea what size they might be so I can try and source another spanner. Any other suggestions for removal would be welcomed.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the suggestion, I already have one on these but it's too small to grip the back nut. I think there are larger versions but as I said there isn't much room.

Google "tap back nut box spanner". About a fiver from Plumb center. Would provide link but on phone so not easy to clean and p.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for trying but that's where I started. I have one but its 32mm and too small, back nuts are non-standard size; possibly 1 5/16 but I haven't found a way to get an accurate measure yet.

how about a basin wrench

13294_P

BW: If a standard back nut box spanner does not fit, that won't either. I thought back nut's were more than 1 1/4, but then, I am not a plumber

Last edited:
Thanks, I've heard that this may work, but space is limited, just need a Dremel!

Thanks for all your replies and advice, I'm beginning to wonder if I've taken on too much. Problem is I've bought the new taps! The bath is cast iron, 50+ years old, and whoever fitted it cut squares of lead as washers under the back nuts so they fit nice and tight. The bath is still OK - you can't beat cast iron or so they say (I know - it cracks if you beat it!! Hmm maybe that's the solution) So far a Dremel may be the best shot if it will fit. :(

Before taking a hammer to the bath, use a blowlamp on the nut to heat, but it may discolour above if you are not careful

Single taps, I've tried to move them from top in the hope that the nuts will start to free but don't want to risk damaging the bath. The tap tails threads are fine, not coated in boss white or anything else so I guess I'll just have to take it slowly and keep trying.
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back