Help replacing a Stone Age stat

The front was on properly. I'm pretty sure because it took me 5 mins to take it apart so that I could remove the whole stat from the wall.

Sponsored Links
Do I have to program the new stat in any way? I'm asking because I didn't do anything like that. Just popped it on the wall and turned it on.

No you don't need to.
Check that the 3 pins on the back haven't been bent.
You wouldn't blow anything by connecting it wrong. You just have a live wire and a switch wire.

Sponsored Links
I’d say it’s possibly a faulty thermostat, or the wiring could have been different on the old stat, as in the blue wire is switched as opposed to the yellow? I’ve had a few faulty new Honeywell thermostats fail out of the box.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that I don't have a combi boiler. I have a really old boiler. Is it possible that it uses the mains voltage switching? This is the tank in the airing cupboard.

IMG_4286.JPG

Do you have any test equipment? A multimeter or 2 pole voltage tester?

View attachment 209167

Is it a straightforward process (Like getting a 2 wired Honeywell and connect the red and the yellow wire only) as shown below?
Terminal 2 of the old stat is switched live. So it's the blue which has to be connected to A on the new stat.

I don't understand why the yellow wire is there - unless there is a cooling system or MOMO (motor on/motor off) valves. If the system still doesn't work, connect the yellow to terminal C, which is the equivalent of 3 on the old stat.

Terminal 2 of the old stat is switched live. So it's the blue which has to be connected to A on the new stat.

I don't understand why the yellow wire is there - unless there is a cooling system or MOMO (motor on/motor off) valves. If the system still doesn't work, connect the yellow to terminal C, which is the equivalent of 3 on the old stat.
really ? the blue is not connected to anything ?

really ? the blue is not connected to anything ?

It wasn’t the best photo (very 1st post) where there’s 3 wires poking through. So could it be that the blue wire is the switch?

Attachments

• C1C49AE1-5778-4248-A7A3-DB07EB0426B5.jpeg
    C1C49AE1-5778-4248-A7A3-DB07EB0426B5.jpeg
    218.1 KB · Views: 75
So, the way I connect the wires to the new stat is: red to A, blue to B and if boiler still doesn't fire up try yellow to C?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back