Help - replacing new switches...too many wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two problems...

1. I am replacing a single landing light switch which can be switched off and on from the downstairs hall. This switch is only for the landing light however, and downstairs did work but since I tried rewiring the upstairs switch it no longer does...can someone explain how to do it.... I've tried soo many ways..
(See pictures below)

2. I bought a new pull cord switch which controls a light and extractor fan...I did this wiring as a test and it worked but now it won't switch on anymore...can someone explain how it should go... I know the wires need tidying I was just testing where they should go before I paint and fix officially to ceiling.

Sponsored Links
1. I am replacing a single landing light switch which can be switched off and on from the downstairs hall. This switch is only for the landing light however, and downstairs did work but since I tried rewiring the upstairs switch it no longer does...can someone explain how to do it.... I've tried soo many ways..
Simply wire it the same way as the original switch was - use the notes or diagrams of the original switch that you made before you changed the switch.

2. I bought a new pull cord switch which controls a light and extractor fan...I did this wiring as a test and it worked but now it won't switch on anymore...can someone explain how it should go... I know the wires need tidying I was just testing where they should go before I paint and fix officially to ceiling.
I suspect that is because the power for the pull switch light/extractor is being taken from the landing light switch - so as I said just wire the same way as the other one.

The original switch for the landing I didn't think I needed to observe, so do not remember how it was.

The pull cord old switch looks completely different, there are no parallels between the old and new...

Sponsored Links
The original switch for the landing I didn't think I needed to observe, so do not remember how it was.
This will give you an understanding of how 2 way switches are wired and should work.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:two_way_lighting

The pull cord old switch looks completely different, there are no parallels between the old and new...
The pull cord wiring looks okay, apart from the large amount of copper on display.
My linking it to the landing switch was because I had assumed that it worked before you started to change the landing switch but not after.
At some stage you will need to get hold and understand how to use a multi-meter.

The pull cord was done after the landing light and worked for about an hour then stopped. I replaced the lightbulb to no avail..

I don't understand the electrical diagram...I have four cables... Can you not just say which wires should be coupled and go where?

Thanks for your help so far.

4 cables?

You have 2 that connect to the switch.

There is something in the back of the box connected with an old terminal block that is NOT connected to the switch: have you altered that?

Cable one has black red and yellow green.
Cable two has yellow red blue and yellow green.
Cable three has red black and yellow green
Cable four has black red and yellow green
Cable one and twos yellow greens are both on a screw in top right of screw box
Cable three and fours yellow greens are on a screw in bottom left of screw box.
Cable three and fours black and red cables are connected to each other using the mini connector boxes.

I have not altered cables three or four, or any of the green and yellow wires.

Your upstairs switch is a two way switch and is linked to your downstairs switch and both operate the upstairs light.
You have two cables whose conductors connect to the rear of the upstairs switch.
Remove them and separate them into their respective groups.
Cable A will have the red/black/earth
Cable B will have the red/blue/yellow and earth.

Assuming your switch has a C, L1 and L2 terminals symbols.
With Cable A put the red into L1 and the black into L2
Before sorting Cable B you need to check the downstairs switch for the same three colour conductor cable (red/blue/yellow) and take note of which terminal symbol each colour goes into.
Then at the upstairs switch with Cable B you match the colours/terminals symbols to the downstairs switch.
As per wiki instructions shown you earlier.

Riveralt you are my hero! This has worked yayayayayayayay!

The bathroom switch however is not interested in working! Any suggestions?

Have you trapped the insulation on the blue and black wires?

Make sure this connection is on the copper wire. Do the same with the red and brown, just to eliminate the switch.

If this does not work, you will have to go in the loft and trace the cables to see where they go and find out where they connect to.

Nope just checked....the light flickered the last time it went on and then didn't work anymore, does that help?

So, you've done as I suggested?

Checked the connection on the blue and black?

Put the red & brown in a terminal block?

Switched on and no light?

Have you traced the wiring?

What have you found?

Have you got a multimeter?

I checked the light, it is not the light - if only it was that simple.. I'm going up in the loft :) I'll report progress :) thanks for your help so far guys!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back