HELP REQ'D URGENTLY - Boiler PCB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a problem with a Worcester R25 HE Combi Boiler.
We have no hot water or central heating. Called an emergency gas company who sent a young bloke to have a look. After what I considered very little in the way of diagnostics and a call to Worcester he has concluded that it is the PCB which is faulty.

However I have read the manual and run all of the service and diagnostic checks and been returned all of the expected results specified in the manual.
I do however get an occasional C1 error on the display panel which according to my manual reads as a FAN error not a PCB error.

I have checked the connection from the PCB to the Fan and there is a 230v supply. Therefore I have checked the fan on the manufacturers web site and (EBMPAPST RG130) and find that of the 5 wires going to the fan there is a HALL SENSOR OUT and a PWM INPUT which show no voltage. I dont know what these do so before I part nearly £350 to replace the PCB the question is:

....is the PCB knackered or is just the fan that needs replacing?"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
these are known for dodgy pcb's but why not call WB in for a fixed price repair?

I do however get an occasional C1 error on the display panel which according to my manual reads as a FAN error not a PCB error.

Welcome to the world of boilers!

Now if there is a C1 error how would you know if the PCB is giving an erroneous error or the fan is really faulty?

Before replacing an expensive PCB, I would be doing a lot of basic tests first!

Have you looked at the PWM input with a scope?

If the fan is not spinning you will probably not get a Hall effect output. In any case it will be a square wave and you will need the scope again.

Tony

Tony are you suggesting us engineers should carry a scope in the van now?

Sponsored Links

I suggested ages ago that as battery hand held LCD scopes were available for under £100 there were a very useful tool particularly for modern boilers with stepper motors or Dc motors with Hall effect speed sensore and feedback servo control.

Now the scopes are down to £79, they are even more affordable. Not only do they display waveforms but they will show AC superimposed on DC supply rails etc. They will also display rapid transients which would be missed by digital meters.

Tony

Example:-

http://www.amazon.com/Hand-Held-2MHz-Personal-Scope/dp/B0006HJQW0

does the fan start up or not? if not the hall effect will never register.check fan is getting required voltage correctly ie phase and neutral if so change fan

I suggested ages ago that as battery hand held LCD scopes were available for under £100 there were a very useful tool particularly for modern boilers with stepper motors or Dc motors with Hall effect speed sensore and feedback servo control.

Now the scopes are down to £79, they are even more affordable. Not only do they display waveforms but they will show AC superimposed on DC supply rails etc. They will also display rapid transients which would be missed by digital meters.

Tony

Example:-

http://www.amazon.com/Hand-Held-2MHz-Personal-Scope/dp/B0006HJQW0[/QUOTE]

Jaysus I wouldnt know where to start

:)

Carry a scope, what a load of carp.

We are boiler engineers, not electronics technicians, just another case of Tony trying to tell everyone how much cleverer he thinks he is than the rest of us, rather than real world help :rolleyes:

Carry a scope, what a load of carp.

We are boiler engineers, not electronics technicians, just another case of Tony trying to tell everyone how much cleverer he thinks he is than the rest of us, rather than real world help :rolleyes:

Here Here DAve

Boo to Tone :)

Oh come on, there aren't many days we don't dream of an oscillating, lcd, wave, optical, recumbant, stepping scope detection pantsdown meter. :rolleyes:

Oh come on, there aren't many days we don't dream of an oscillating, lcd, wave, optical, recumbant, stepping scope detection pantsdown meter. :rolleyes:

Dammit you have been looking at my dreams again Oll

;)

reading the 1st few posts I was getting worried I knew bugger all so thank god for the last few posts cos talk of scopes and all other manner I was seriously doubting my knowledge :rolleyes:

Don't let any post on here let you doubt your ability.

You will soon get to know those that post realistcally and those who try to sound cleverer than the rest.

Me, a spades a spade, I know it or I don't, basics first etc etc. I'm never too proud to admit I'm wrong or don't know, in fact everyday I learn something new, whether it is from other qualified RGI's posting on here or out in the field.

Reality, none of us will ever know anything. Welcome to the biggest school we know:cool: :LOL:

Cor blimey charlie its a rare day that I dont learn summink new thats for sure

but hen again I am as fick as pig shyte so I shouldnt be too surprised

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back