Help required regarding suitable extension for radiator valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am looking for a bit of advice please.

I recently moved into a late 90s built house and want to replace a radiator. The existing radiator was a bit of an odd length so the one I have purchased to replace it is approx 180mm shorter, so I am looking at needing 90mm extension each side to connect to the original valves.

After examining my existing valves I'm a bit confused. I have microbore pipe from the CH system to the valve, but I was expecting 15mm connection from the valve into the rad. Obviously I can't see the pipe from the rad to the valve, but the nut looks much bigger than 15mm

I've done this exact job in my previously house, but that was simple as buying a 15mm extension from the rad as the TRVs I had were standard 15mm each side.

Can anyone explain what I am looking at here? What size pipe is that nut for? And can anyone point me in the right direction as to how I find a suitable extension?

I know I am now being particularly clear, so I have included some photos.

thank you
IMG_20231120_163915528.jpgIMG_20231120_163921092.jpgIMG_20231120_163944093.jpg

Sponsored Links
Surprised you can’t get a direct replacement for a stelrad of that age.
the connection on you new and existing rad are 1/2 inch the valve.are you replacing the valves or reusing the existing?
rad extension in lengths are available with 1/2 inch threads but will look odd

I want a black radiator (and don't want to pay crazy money). I appreciate the extension might look a little odd, but it will mostly be hidden by curtains so I'm not too worried.

I don't want to replace the existing valves.

Are you saying that the existing connection in to the existing rad is definitely 1/2 inch? If yes, why is the nut so big?

Take another pic of the radiator valve ,without the tape measure. It looks like the valve has a 3/4 inch union fitting to the tail.
Why didn't you buy a wider radiator, 180mm difference isn't going to look pretty ?

Sponsored Links
Please see another pic below.

The reason I didn't buy a wider radiator was because I was looking for a black one and my choice pretty much was between 1220mm and 1440mm (to replace a 1400mm radiator). Unless I wanted to pay crazy money.

I appreciate aesthetically it's not ideal to have the extension , but it will mostly be hidden by curtains anyways.

IMG_20231120_195541403.jpg

What is the horizontal distance, centre to centre, of the existing pipes as they enter the valves?

The valve tail is definitely 1/2 inch
Quite right , the tail is ¹/² inch, but the tail to valve connection is 3/4 union.
As the OP wants to retain the existing valve and connect it to an extension, that will require the extension piece to be 1/2 inch male at one end, to connect to rad ,and 3/4 female union at the other end to connect to the existing valve.

Please see another pic below.

The reason I didn't buy a wider radiator was because I was looking for a black one and my choice pretty much was between 1220mm and 1440mm (to replace a 1400mm radiator). Unless I wanted to pay crazy money.

I appreciate aesthetically it's not ideal to have the extension , but it will mostly be hidden by curtains anyways.

View attachment 321912
I think I'd have gone for the 1440 and re-tailed one side.

Or bought a radiator cover ;)

Thank you, that's helpful. Do you know if there is an option to cut down an extension to my requirements?
Use a reducing insert on the rad and then pipe away as you need. You could use a straight through rad valve perhaps to make the overlength a bit more visually appealing.

Wouldn't bother with an extension. They are chromed and will look silly next to the duluxed piping.

Don't overthink it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back