Help Required with Fluorescent Light fitting

Have they made LED units that replace the bottom plate on a fluorescent fitting to save re-fixing to the ceiling… and if so was that one I got from Screwfix I wonder ?
I rather doubt it, because thee 'bottom plates' are probably not quite the same for any two makes of fluorescent fitting.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Thank you John,
I had the SFix one out of the box just out of curiosity … I noticed the two clips meant to be screwed to the ceiling for the unit to simply clip onto … it was only afterwards I wondered if it utilised the existing fluorescent box.
Ray

Thank you John,
I had the SFix one out of the box just out of curiosity … I noticed the two clips meant to be screwed to the ceiling for the unit to simply clip onto … it was only afterwards I wondered if it utilised the existing fluorescent box.
Ray
It may be an ip rated fitting, the clips are so you can fit it up without drilling the actual fitting, some manufacturers even invalidate the warranty if you ignore that advise.
I prefer the fittings that you can open up and fix through myself personally, they look ugly hanging on the clips.

I’m sure you’re right, there’s certainly no encouragement to explore not using the clips on the one I had, the back is just plain from one end to the the other with the 3 core cable emerging from somewhere.
Ray

Sponsored Links
It may be an ip rated fitting, the clips are so you can fit it up without drilling the actual fitting, some manufacturers even invalidate the warranty if you ignore that advise.
I prefer the fittings that you can open up and fix through myself personally, they look ugly hanging on the clips.

Going back a few years, when we had switch start fittings, with heavy gear trays with magnetic chokes that got hot, if someone had drilled and screwed the fitting, the heat of the choke would cook the back of the plastic over the years, which would go hard and brittle, and then, especially if too few fixings had been used, or they had only small washers on, the weight of the fitting, would, either after been knocked slightly, or even sometimes randomly would cause the back of the fitting to crack around the fixings and in some cases some completely away from the ceiling, I can remember going to one in a school kitchen that that narrowly missed hitting a dinner lady!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back