help! Should Towel Rail connect to Hot Water or C/H?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - we have a towel rail radiator in bathroom which runs off the hot water system only (and not with the central heating).
Problem is we only have the hot water on for an hour in the morning and an hour at night. Rest of the day the towel rail is cold which is not enough during the winter.

The builder says it's this way so you can have hot towels in the summer when C/H is off, which I understand but what do I do during the cold winter when I want heating on all night and this towel rail wont come on unless I turn on hot water as well as C/H (which would cost quite a bit to my gas bill right??)

any advice appreciated. I just don't know if I'm being abnormal or builder got it wrong?

Sponsored Links
It is normal to have the towel rail on the hot water circuit, however it should also come on when only heating is on. Sounds like it has been plumbed in wrong.

It is normal to have the towel rail on the hot water circuit, however it should also come on when only heating is on. Sounds like it has been plumbed in wrong.

WHAT???? if its on the HW circuit then how does it come on with the heating only circuit , pixie dust ??

WHAT???? if its on the HW circuit then how does it come on with the heating only circuit , pixie dust ??

you put it on the flow before any valves (then it comes on which ever circuit is calling)

Matt

Sponsored Links

you put it on the flow before any valves (then it comes on which ever circuit is calling)

Matt

Correct but this is not the Hot water circuit

Thanks for the replies. So it sounds like it's been plumbed wrong then.

So towel rail radiators should come on with both H/W or C/H circuits - not just one or the other?

If it is teed in after the pump and before the valve(s) then yes it will come on whichever is calling.

I wouldn't go as far to say it is wrong.

But it is less than optimal and depends on the spec. Towel rads should never be the primary source of heating in a bathroom anyway IMHO - unless it is a small room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back