Help! Ugly painted edges on new plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All, wonder if you can help.

Just had house skimmed. Problem i am having is when i paint the edges of the walls and ceilings what the roller cannot cover. It is apparent.

How to combat this? Do i do the edges before roller or roller before edges?

How do you guys ensure a consistant finish?

Sponsored Links
If I understand correctly you cannot finish corners with a roller, you need to use a brush to cut in around all edges and fill in with the roller. You will never get a neat edge just using a roller.

Thats right. But the edges i am cutting in with a brush. You can see. Rollered paint is a solid finish but with the brush you can still see the plaster through it

Have done 3 coats now with a brush but to no avail.

Sponsored Links
Trying to get the cutting in to blend in with the rollered field is a bit tricky sometimes. It gets easy for us who do it every day but that's with practice.

One way to get a better finish is to cut in with your brush then roll the field and use a small (4") roller sideways to get as close to the ceiling and skirting as possible. You need a steady hand for this but with a bit of patience the cutting in brush line will be unnoticeable. It can also take a few coats on new plaster to get everything even if the paint isn't very good.

Yes i did a misty coat and this is where the problem begins because subsequent coats thereafter are not covering the mist.

Am using Crown matt white

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back