Help!!! Uneven floors after refurbishment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, hoping you can give me some advice on my issue. I have recently refurbished my first floor flat and replaced the flooring from carpets to engineered flooring throughout. Since the floor has been laid and i have walked on it without shoes, i have noticed that the floor isnt level/flat in some areas as in it is noticable to me when walking on it that there are slight slopes. This was not something i noticed when everything was stripped back to the bare floorboards or even before anything was taken up. I had some plumbing pipes ran under the floorboards, these were nailed back down, i had 12mm ply laid and nailed over the floorboards and then the 14mm engineered floor glued down.

You can see from the attached pictures the process and the final finish shows that there are gaps below the skirting which are likely due to the eneven floor.

My question is, what options do I have to try and resolve this section of the hall that has a slope that goes down and up over a distance of 1.5/2 metres.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Danny

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 177
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 187
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 182
Sponsored Links
I'd suggest not worrying about it - you'll get used to it.
Surely, making it level would just mean there'll have to be a small step somewhere further on?

Thanks Jonbey. Yes there will defo be a step elsewhere however I am keen to sort out the hallway at least as this is a high traffic area and really disapoints me that its there considering all the work that went into the place.

Do you have any suggestions? I am aware that I will undoubetly need to remove the engineered floor and/or the ply...?

Thank you.

Sorry, no suggestions, other than leave it. It looks nice, and steps are trip hazards.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again. Would you have any suggestions relating to the gap between the skirting and flooring? I have read that caulk maybe an option?

You can see from the attached pictures the process and the final finish shows that there are gaps below the skirting which are likely due to the eneven floor.
have you put a level on the floor and seen how much it is out
Looks good, i would not want to take it up, just because of a small gap in the skirting, noone will notice i'm sure. And you will get used to it over time.
the gap looks very small under the skirting , and a good fit front and back over the length
or are we missing something in the photo
How much of a gap are we talking about, only looks a few mm

Thanks Eta. I have put a level on the floor and although it doesnt show thats its very out, its more a case that over the hallway distance there are high and low spots so its no flat rather then level if that makes sense?

I am not so fussed about the gap between the skirting and floor but more concerned with the ups and downs when walking across the hall.

I am happy with the look however not happy with how the floor and dips feel on the feet. I've attached a picture to give an idea the slops that exist.

I've read that maybe self levelling compound can be used?

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 141
i'm just a DIYer so i'm sure the pros will answer, but i would not think screeding floorboards would be a good idea, but searching appears you can get self leveling screed for floorboards
https://ardex.co.uk/product/ardex-fa-20/
not sure what thickness that would go to, states 3mm , so would expect 3mm to 6mm + 6mm ply = your 12mm may be OK - as it can be used on wood, maybe replace the 12mm ply with thinner stuff and screed perhaps 6mm ply primed and then approx 6mm of screen which will be thinner in some areas to level out you slopes- BUT NO IDEA of the best method of doing that.
BUT NO EXPERT - So i would suggest you need to wait for a pro reply

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back