HELP! Vaillant 637 + Gold Ind Cylinder 300 - WHAT CONTROLS?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having the above installed as we speak, and want to know what are the best controls to have installed for it for maximum efficiency and ease of use?

Boiler and cylinder are in the loft, this is all being installed as we speak and i can obvioulsy dictate what controls to put in!

Should i be going for something like the Vaillant VRC 470?

or Honeywell ST9400C?

or more than one control?? HELP!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The VRC 470 is a weather compensated programmable thermostat; the ST9400C is only a time control, so you would need a separate room thermostat.

If you go for the VRC 470 you will also need the VR 65 to interface with the motorized valves.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. I'm not looking to skimp on the controls, no point when fitting a vaillant 637 and potterton gold 300ltr cylinder.

So should I be going for the vaillant options you mention and how will this work for us to control?

Only had a combi in our old place, now in the new house we r spending £6k+ on this install so if contols cost £200 vs £60 for the honeywell, in the grand scheme of things....

Also, where's best to buy from? I need them for thurs/friday latest. Ideally thurs or fitter can pick up locally - romford/upminster/hornchurch area or central london

Thanks all!!!

I get the impression that you are buying all parts yourself, presumably on the basis that you will "save" money, and then expecting the installer to fit them. Have you considered the Warranty implications of doing this? If anything goes wrong with any component you purchase, the installer can, quite legitimately, refuse to accept liability for the fault and any consequential problems.

I would ask the installer for his advice and ask him to purchase the components.

I work in a finance firm. I know nothing about central heating as such.

A local firm, who a friend works for, are doing the works for me. I can tell them what I want installed. They have advised on the boiler and cylinder but don't seem to have any idea on the controls.

I vaugely read on here that some controls can improve the efficieny of the system, hence the request for advice.

Any help gratefully received. The guy has bought the honeywell 9400c this am at the supplier, but I could if best, get this changed and get something else?

A local firm, who a friend works for, are doing the works for me. I can tell them what I want installed. They have advised on the boiler and cylinder but don't seem to have any idea on the controls.
Have you checked their Gassafe Registration? Are they an approved Vaillant installer?

I would be very wary of a firm which couldn't advise me of the most appropriate controls to use.

I vaguely read on here that some controls can improve the efficiency of the system, hence the request for advice.
That's correct, but it's the responsibility of the installer to explain the controls to you and adjust them so the system works at its most efficient. From what you say, your installer will be able to do neither.

The guy has bought the Honeywell 9400c
That's just a basic programmer. Which thermostat has he bought?

Thanks for that mate. They are a proper company, I'm sure they have all the right certs and qualifications.

I am not sure on the thermostat, don't think he's bought one yet? Which should I ask him to get?

Is the st9400c any good or should I request something else?

If your not going for the Vaillant VRC 470, my choice would be the Honeywell CM907 (wired) or CM927 (wireless) to control the central heating and the Honeywell ST9100A (24 hour) or ST9100C (7 day) to control the hot water.

The programmable stat would be installed on the ground floor and the HW time control on the first floor, below the HW cylinder in the loft.

Another alternative is the Honeywell Sundial RF2 Pack 2, which is a combined CH and HW timer with a wireless CH thermostat.

That honeywell pack looks like the same main box as the st9400c? Would adding a thermostat to that be similar to the honeywell sundial pack 2?

That honeywell pack looks like the same main box as the st9400c? Would adding a thermostat to that be similar to the honeywell sundial pack 2?
It would do the same. The Sundial Pack 2 has a wireless thermostat linked to the time control. The ST9400C requires a separate thermostat, which can be either wired or wireless. If you opt for a wireless stat, there will be a separate receiver to wire (this is built into the Sundial Pack 2 time control).

If you decide to keep the ST9400C, then a suitable thermostat is either the DT90E (wired) or DT92E (wireless).

The Sundial Pack 2 has additional features (such as "optimization" which varies the boiler on time according to how cold it is) which are not available on the ST9400C.

Download the relevant literature from http://www.honeywelluk.com/ and compare the various items.

I've just fitted the Vaillant VRC470/VR65/VR10/Outside thermister in place of Honeywell timer/programmer and its simple to set up end use and rads often just warm as system just tops up enough heat to maintain temps.

Hot water easy to boost if you get caught out with programmer timing and heats up really fast.

Will control two CH zones separately if reqd.

You need to take time familiarising yourself with facilities available to suit lifestyle.

Take a look at Vaillant interactive website: http://www.vaillant-controls.com/en/?&switch=0#1.0_Introduction

Purchased from plumbnation.co.uk.

I think we will fit the DT90E to go with the ST9400C. This looks like the wired option of comparison to the sundial kit. As we are having our rewire now too it makes sense to do it all that way. We can always go wireless in the future I guess?

The vaillant controls form an integral part of the boiler...it makes it work efficiently..

Having been installing them for 7 years i can assure you that they give better swrvice than the on-off alternatives...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back