Help! Weird recessed bathroom spotlights.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone!

I'm hoping you can help me with an issue that is bothering me quite intensely. My boyfriend and I recently moved into a house. In the bathroom there are 4 recessed bathroom spotlights. When we moved in, 2 didn't work, now 3 don't and we're nervous we will soon have no lights.

We cannot get any of the lights to open. We've twisted, we've turned it, we've taken one light fitting out of the ceiling, but it's completely covered and you can't get to the light bulb at all. It's screwed in and taped up and confusing as all heck. There are 3 clips which hold the fitting into the ceiling, and they're spring loaded, but there's no wire, no gap and nothing that looks even vaguely like it would make the light come off to get to the bulb.

Please help us. How do you get there infernal things to open without ruining the plasterboard? We can also only get to one of them from the loft side, the rest are covered by insulation and boards.

Thank you!

Also, photos are included! I think. In an album on my profile called The Light of Doom, or here, I hope: //www.diynot.com/network/Hummingbirdsakura/albums/

Sponsored Links
In the bottom pic you can see the cover with the glass in it is separated from the rest of the fitting by a silicone gasket.

This cover will come off to allow access to the lamp.

It will come off in one of three ways:

by unscrewing it.

by twisting it slightly anticlockwise.

by pulling the cover down, leaving the fitting body in the ceiling. With this type, both the lamp cover and the fitting body will be held in place by springs.

AS above, if they are not held in by springs (which yours seem not to be), generally they either unscrew, anti-clockwise quarter twist, or they gently prise away from the body using small flat-head screwdriver.

You mentioned there were no wires, are you saying there is no electrical cable?
Could we see a photo of the back of this unit?

If there is electrical cable to these, have you checked if there are any transformers in the ceiling, they can often fail and the lamp bulbs could be okay.

Isn't it more usual to have lights like that in the ceiling rather than a wall?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back