Removing recessed spotlights.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I have got the bulb out and it seems that the, ahem, wire thing it plugs into is not working. (Would they fail after 4/5 years?) So to replace this, it now seems I have to take out the whole recessed light from the ceiling to get at the wires.....

This seems to have happened on half of the lights in the house, is this likely?

Is the spotlight casing held in by some springloaded arms which an be removed easily or would it be model specific?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is the spotlight casing held in by some springloaded arms which an be removed easily or would it be model specific?

Yes

This seems to have happened on half of the lights in the house, is this likely?

No

So I have got the bulb out and it seems that the, ahem, wire thing it plugs into is not working.

How do you know this? Telepathy?

(Would they fail after 4/5 years?)

Or even sooner.

So to replace this, it now seems I have to take out the whole recessed light from the ceiling to get at the wires.....

Or the transformer if its ELV.

Are you out of your depth??

Are you out of your depth??

I dont know yet, this is why I am asking questions.

Quote:

Yes

So model specific or spring loaded arms?

Quote:
So I have got the bulb out and it seems that the, ahem, wire thing it plugs into is not working.

How do you know this? Telepathy?

No, the light did not operate with a new bulb so I am assuming that it is the connector. Can you suggest something else apart from sarcasm?

Quote:
So to replace this, it now seems I have to take out the whole recessed light from the ceiling to get at the wires.....

Or the transformer if its ELV.

ELV?

If you have several lights out, it suggests a circuit problem, rather than an individual fitting. It may be that some cable has come disconnected some way down the line, or these are all 12v lights (ELV) and the transformer is broken.

I would suggest investing about a tenner in a cheap multimeter, and that will help you track down the fault.

Sponsored Links
I was not being sarcastic I was trying to help you to see that we need details to diagnose a fault and help you.
If you visit your Doctor and complain of a headache but omit to tell him/her that the carbon monoxide detector has been going off for the last week, you will not find a satisfactory solution to your problem

What made me think it was more localised is that there doesnt seem (to the untrained eye) any pattern to the lights which arent working (just moved into this house). On average 1 light per room, the most is 2.

Also a couple of the leads which connect to the bulb are broken/damagaed, which led me to believe that the rest could be like it.

The lights are 5V located in the ceiling.

....if this makes it easier!

Thanks for the advice/responses

cbasson said:
The lights are 5V located in the ceiling.

....if this makes it easier!

5v :eek:
sorry that does not sound right at all.

why not look on say screffix for one similar or post a picture of your light

er..more like 12V 50W ones....sorry

So would you still think it could be a transformer problem ir there is no distinct pattern to the failures (like one floor out ot something)?

ill take a look for a piccy of the lights

For those that were gripped by this saga, it was the lamp holders on the majority of the lights which were sourced from a good co. on the internet in the end. Homebase/B&Q seem to overlook these.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back