Help with 2 problems PLEASE(1Combi 1 Warm Air)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Right where to start?
Been to 2 Jobs today the first was an Alpha 24CBX (not HE) where the A and B Light were flashing at the same time, after reading the manual the diagnostics seemed to think it was a flue blockage or a problam with the fan(defianately the fan as it does not start) however the local spares place has quoted £120 plus vat and then there is my labour on top to replace. The problem i have is how do yo tell if it is the actual fan or the white electrical assy beside it as it is an elder lady with limited cash and i dont want to replace the wrong part for obvious reasons!!!

The second one is a Johnson and Starley JS32 where it calls for heat fires up but again it seems to be a fan issue. Are these easy enough to replace and if so where is the fan as i could not visually see it!!

My name is Charles Stafford and my Corgi is 850935501 so you know im not a cowboy.

Thanks
In adavance for any replies

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you are very inexperienced and should not be out on your own.

This post should be shown to any customer that says all CORGI card holders have the same knowledge.

Thanks for the confidence booster mate, no your right hence my name on here. I have for the last 4 years been primarily an installer but as times are hard im trying to do other bits.
But im as Corgi'd up as you and have the right to ask for advice but tell you what i will go in morn change the fan in the Alpha appologise to grandma that it dont work but that i will however be taking her £170 Plus any way.

I think Simond was on about having to ask where the fan was on the wau

Sponsored Links
OH WHAT DID YOU GET FROM THAT REPLY??????
No doubt you just woke up one day with your superior boiler fault diagnostic knowledge.
No One ever showed you owt did they friend and you never needed any advice or guidance.
Its not very often, Nay never do i get angry but people like you should just rot!!!

Sounds like you are very inexperienced and should not be out on your own.

This post should be shown to any customer that says all CORGI card holders have the same knowledge.

I do not have all the knowledge that others have and as i stated previously i have been an installer on new build for the longest time(hence little knowledge of Warm Air) and only hoped that fellow proffesionals could maybe guide me in the right direction.
Maybe when the new boys come in they can rate us all on how much we know!!!

My name is Charles Stafford and my Corgi is 850935501 so you know im not a cowboy.

Thanks
[/quote]

No, just stupid, the fan on the johnson & starley is at the very top of the unit, ;) Like it`s the first thing that you see when opening the unit, it`s huge! unmissable!

NO to me it appears male superiority complex may be a reality.
You should not be on your own as i have forgot far more than you know etc.
If you have no advice why even bother posting????
I am trying to do the right thing by 2 customers and get shot down for it!!!

Thanks

No, just stupid, the fan on the johnson & starley is at the very top of the unit, ;) Like it`s the first thing that you see when opening the unit, it`s huge! unmissable![/quote]

First thing i saw was a huge metal plate with 3 unscrewable face plates all the way down th where the pilot was.
There was no visable fan.

Can't help at all on the warm air fault, I'm not warm air qualified and only ever seen one when I take them out :eek:

The Alpha though, you say it is definately the fan but then seem to doubt your appraisal of the situation.

Have you checked if there is 240V at the fan terminals? If there is it will be the fan. If there isn't the fault lies elsewhere.

Have you got the MI's for the Alpha and gone through the fault finding precisely?

Unfortunately there is no substitute for experience and I'm sure all of us at some point (I still do very occasionaly) buy a part that we have wrongly diagnosed as faulty and end up having to put it in the van and hope for the day we can use it to get our money back :oops:

Welcome to the real 'uncertain at times' world of boiler repairs.

Your confidence will naturally improve, take your time and slowly test everything and whilst learning make sure you only charge for the actual part and time it takes to repair the fault.

Wasted time and expense is a pain, but just put this cost down to learning. It will get less. Also revel in the delight of fixing each boiler you come across, especially the awkward ones, as this feeling will soon disappear into everyday drudgery of work :cry:

oh dear :cry:

you cant take on jobs when you dont know what your doing.

several examples of why that is so wrong spring to mind.

and i thought WAH1 was an element in its own right?

I suppose I ought to get my coat too, where we off to Simon :confused:

First thing i saw was a huge metal plate with 3 unscrewable face plates all the way down th where the pilot was.
There was no visable fan

the last time I serviced one was 5 years ago on a council estate I think it was a j30? Haven`t seen one since then mate but I`m sure the fan was a huge bugger right at the top of the unit, not at the front where the gas valve is.

There was no visable fan

the last time I serviced one was 5 years ago on a council estate I think it was a j30? Haven`t seen one since then mate but I`m sure the fan was a huge b*****r right at the top of the unit, not at the front where the gas valve is.

Thank you very much im now guessing it under the the ET Type ventilation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back