Help with 2 problems PLEASE(1Combi 1 Warm Air)

Can't help at all on the warm air fault, I'm not warm air qualified and only ever seen one when I take them out :eek:

The Alpha though, you say it is definately the fan but then seem to doubt your appraisal of the situation.

Have you checked if there is 240V at the fan terminals? If there is it will be the fan. If there isn't the fault lies elsewhere.

Have you got the MI's for the Alpha and gone through the fault finding precisely?

Unfortunately there is no substitute for experience and I'm sure all of us at some point (I still do very occasionaly) buy a part that we have wrongly diagnosed as faulty and end up having to put it in the van and hope for the day we can use it to get our money back :oops:

Welcome to the real 'uncertain at times' world of boiler repairs.

Your confidence will naturally improve, take your time and slowly test everything and whilst learning make sure you only charge for the actual part and time it takes to repair the fault.

Wasted time and expense is a pain, but just put this cost down to learning. It will get less. Also revel in the delight of fixing each boiler you come across, especially the awkward ones, as this feeling will soon disappear into everyday drudgery of work :cry:

Thanks for your advise and tomorrow i will now check the terminals as suggested.
My spares place has no problem with me connecting the fan to the boiler prior to fitting to see if this works also, so i shall try that as well!!
Your positive feedback has been gratefully received!!

Sponsored Links
Thank you very much im now guessing it under the the ET Type ventilation

You are supposed to be the ``engineer`` fixing it mate, I haven`t seen one for years. You have the luxury of having it right in front of you, if you can`t find the f*uckin`fan you are truly an idiot. Turn the unit on AND TRACE WHERE THE BIG WHIRR! IS COMING FROM!!!!! :idea:

Normally these models scream out, Here I am, I`m the fan D*ickhead!

Sometimes they screech, ``we`re having problems with the gas valve A*sshole``

I believe it`s all in the MIs, which also give you a full breakdown of the warm air unit and all it`s parts, including WHERE THE FAN IS!!

I took my car to the garage the other day . When i went to pick it up the mechanic said i could not work on the engine there was a big metal thing over the top of it with no screws in it ,to remove it so i could see the engine. :rolleyes:

FFS you must have sat a WAU module they are not hard to work on half the panels just push on and off and in the case of one of these its prob the flue runs in front of it and is held in place with a rachet type collar and then the fan is behind a plate.
That is why a customer pays you , yes you will need to learn but you should have spent more time there to find out how it came apart.
And lose the premenstral bit and you may find the help you need :rolleyes:

You are supposed to be the ``engineer`` fixing it mate, I haven`t seen one for years. You have the luxury of having it right in front of you, if you can`t find the f*uckin`fan you are truly an idiot. Turn the unit on AND TRACE WHERE THE BIG WHIRR! IS COMING FROM!!!!! :idea:

Normally these models scream out, Here I am, I`m the fan D*ickhead!

Sometimes they screech, ``we`re having problems with the gas valve A*sshole``

I believe it`s all in the MIs, which also give you a full breakdown of the warm air unit and all it`s parts, including WHERE THE FAN IS!!

Once again thanks for the advice, the manufcturers instructions would be a great help if they were there but sadly they were not.
Forgive me for thinking this was a forum for advice rather than a slag fest on who was best at what and i shall remember in future not to ask!!!
I have however had a very good email from somone with great advice on how to get round my problem.
Once again thanks and i hope to be as obligeing as most when i am full of knowledge, i must also remember to keep some of your suggestions for any new taxi drivers to my area!!!

Sponsored Links

That was your response to good advice, smart boy ;) You got what you deserved. Ask the cabbies for a job! you can`t spell nor read nor nuffink. :rolleyes:

God help the next poor soul who has you as the service engineer for their warm air unit! You`ll probably poison them, :eek:

That was your response to good advice, smart boy ;) You got what you deserved. Ask the cabbies for a job! you can`t spell nor read nor nuffink. :rolleyes:

God help the next poor soul who has you as the service engineer for their warm air unit! You`ll probably poison them, :eek:

After veiwing several other posts where you and your fan boys get into a slanging match i no longer care for you views.
Again the person whom emailed me with the correct advice knows who they are and to them Thank You.
To the rest of you and you advice shove it.
I am probably a far superior installer (Actualy know i am) than most of you and appologise for my lack of knowledge in fault finding( Again hence my sign in name), this is mainly due to the fact that when i finally gained my full NVQ(which most of you idiots whom responded wont have) the new build market was the place to be and being NEW BUILD fault finding was never that much of a complication and neither were warm air units.

Maybe we should now just leave it all alone as i have my answers.
On a final note i do appologise if my spelling or lack there of has offended anyone in any way.

Thanks
Charles

Charles..did you carry out any safety checks on the warm air unit after you WORKED on it?

Checking the heat exchanger is one of them checks and it involves removing the fan so i guess not.

Again the person whom emailed me with the correct advice knows who they are and to them Thank You.

To the rest of you and you advice shove it.

Thanks a lot, I thought I had been quite helpful :rolleyes:

Please dont make me sound any more of a suck up than i do!!
I did not want to just highlight your input as you seem to help quite a few on here but since you took the time to post back then thank you VERY much for your advice.
Maybe some of the others could look at what you wrote and realise that just because you have a Corgi card does not mean you are the be all and end all of boiler men nor the all Seeeing Know all boiler faults.

NVQ
not very qualified explains quite a bit :rolleyes:
Again at fault finding i would agree but at at installation i now have over 9 years experience, if working for the UK's leading builders such as Persimmons, Barratts and Strata Homes and also several Years of Installtion with a company called ROK means im (NVQ) not very qualifield then im not.

Oh i am suitably impressed now, 9 years as a house basher . Guess you wont know what a dust sheet straight pipe and lockshield valves are all about then.

NVQ
not very qualified explains quite a bit :rolleyes:
Again at fault finding i would agree but at at installation i now have over 9 years experience, if working for the UK's leading builders such as Persimmons, Barratts and Strata Homes and also several Years of Installtion with a company called ROK means im (NVQ) not very qualifield then im not.

house bashing on new sites is not the most skilled and the builders you mention are not very fussy from my experience. If you can't find the fan on a wau you need to go back to school. :LOL:

Just a baby then. :LOL: I've got 26 years installing and fault finding. It's worth doing the fault finding course with Johnson and Starley. Much more use than the minor bit you do on ACS refresher training.

Charles..did you carry out any safety checks on the warm air unit after you WORKED on it?

Checking the heat exchanger is one of them checks and it involves removing the fan so i guess not.

Many years ago I took over maintenance of an estate of warm air units. On my first service visits several of the tenants queried what I was doing when I took the fan out. The units were then about ten years old and no one had ever removed the fans before. I even came across one where the pipe from the circulator came up in front of the fan. I think I turned off nearly a quarter of the units on the estate on my first service visit. No one had ever looked in the roof spaces either and the flues had come away from the ridge terminals.

Swb years ago J/S said not to clean the fans as it upset the balance of them :eek: but as we know the amount of carp on the blades must have put a bigger strain on the motor so always made sure every bit of muck was off the blades.
Rtype adaptors are a bloody nuisance for coming adrift can you remember the black epoxy resin ones

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back