Help with creating an accurate cut with a jigsaw please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am designing a simple false floor for a car audio project at the minute and step 1 of this is to create a base plate for the boot with mdf.

I took out the carpet and made a template out of cardboard, which fitted perfectly. I then placed this cutout onto my mdf and drew around it. I followed the line, quite a lot outside of it to be safe at some points and then gradually sanded it down. But it came out too wide and not as accurate as the card for the contours. I'm not that happy with the reault, so I will put that down to trial and error and go back to Homebase for another sheet.

Can anybody give me some tips on the best ways, both in terms of perparation and in actually cutting with the jigsaw that will help me be more accurate?

Sponsored Links
to cut a good strait edge[or line]

you need a sharp blade like a 101d or 101b

a jigsaw thats cutting strait[not at an angle [crabbing]if it is crabbing and you are following a plastic or other pointer on the front to the line the cut will be off to one side
on tight curves your better to egnore the pointers unless they are about 12mm away from the blade then the deviation from the line is minimal

a comfortable stance

work held or fixed securely

a line thats easy to follow [no dust so you can see it :D ;) ]

BennyBoy27 said:
Okay cheers.

How much outside the line would you suggest I cut?

assuming you have used the origional to draw round i would cut along the line

i am wondering why it was to small in the first place !!!

if you think you will have a problem with cutting to a line then i suggest you cut 2mm on the waste side off the line and sand up to the line

Sponsored Links
MDF? mask up!

Just keep your eye on the blade, take it slow, orbital settings off. Get a friend to stand next to you with a hairdryer to keep the dust out of the way ;)

^ Ah yeah I got a mask and goggles beforehand, thanks. No friend with a hairdryer though unfortunately. :(

Any advice on how I can cut out a rectangular section in a piece of wood and have it nice and straight? I was able to achieve decent results by clamping a straight edge and then running the jig along that as suggested.
I have had a go, by making a hole with a drill and a spade drill bit to I understand that aspect of the job, sort of.

But none of my clamps reach that far into the wood, so what would you suggest? Also I do now have a circular saw, but have felt it might be a bit too cumbersome for this job as the cutouts I want to make are only around 30x25cm.

Any help with this, from how I should start out to the main job will be appreciated as always.

Use a straight bit of scrap timber, and screw it into the workpiece. You will be left with a hole to fill, but being as it's going in the boot (carpeted?) not a problem as I can see.

Deluks said:
MDF? mask up!

Just keep your eye on the blade, take it slow, orbital settings off. Get a friend to stand next to you with a hairdryer to keep the dust out of the way ;)

A vacuum cleaner would be better than a hair dryer. Somehow fix the nozzle to the saw then you don't need a friend. Have a long hose so you can put the cleaner outside, as the finest dust will still get through the filters/bag.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back