Help with Drayton Wiring

Sponsored Links
We have LIFT OFF!!!!

Guys, I cannot thank you enough. I was going out of my mind and was clearly past the point of my ability and you've absolutely got me out of a jam.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Any advice on how best to terminate the programmer upstairs?

Wago connectors and a blanking plate?
Disconnect at the wiring centre?
Leave in place?

Brilliant, well done :)

Although I do have to say,
So I threw in
your throw it in approach to wiring could have led to a big bang and a Wiser hub that had lost its magic smoke! ;)
It was lucky that the original install was a good one.

It's completely up to you, what you do with the other thermostat. Personally, I would probably remove it at the wiring centre, but then I have the kit to be able to trace the cables.

I don't think it's doing any harm staying where it is, just for the moment!

Again, well done :D

your throw it in approach to wiring
Yeah my wording wasn't great eh?

I'm not beyond getting new kit if I had a use for it.....I've fitted several things around the house that would've benefitted from a cable tracer, so I might grab myself one.

Thanks again, if there's anyway I can buy you a beer or a coffee or whatever, please let me know

Sponsored Links
I've fitted several things around the house that would've benefitted from a cable tracer, so I might grab myself one.
Just a £10 multimeter would have helped with this one! :)

if there's anyway I can buy you a beer or a coffee or whatever, please let me know
The bill will be in the post! ;)
Enjoy the Wiser.

I am having very similar issues as the OP, but the neutral is wired in to the spur - but I still have no power at the Hub, any advice @RandomGrinch @handaloo2 ?

IMG_3656.jpg

IMG_3660.jpg

IMG_3661.jpg

I am having very similar issues as the OP, but the neutral is wired in to the spur - but I still have no power at the Hub, any advice
The OP had a system comprising two zone valves, is your setup similar?

I can only count two distinct sets of cables behind your FCU. I would expect more for a zoned system.
Is there a small wiring center located somewhere else, maybe next to the zone valves?

You are correct, I have 2 heating zones but two controllers and I just want to replace the one zone with kit 1 - would assume the wiring centre you are referring to is the box on the right talking to the two valves then?

image011.jpeg

image21.jpeg

got a little higher and noticed these two grey wires not connected that you can't quite see on the original pic

image120.jpeg

Last edited:
It could be that the neutrals aren’t connected then (hard to see if that’s what they are), without these, you’ll have no power.

Last edited:
got a little higher and noticed these two grey wires not connected that you can't quite see on the original pic
Yes, one of those will be the neutral you'll need.
You may need to connect both of them up, but check that the grey is safely isolated in the second stat.
The grey should also be oversleeved in blue, to denote it as a neutral.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Yes, one of those will be the neutral you'll need.
You may need to connect both of them up, but check that the grey is safely isolated in the second stat.
The grey should also be oversleeved in blue, to denote it as a neutral.
Only one is over sleeved with a blue, which is already connect the other 2 don't have an oversleeve

image111.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back