Help with extraction fan installation?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I'd really appreciate anyone's input on this issue.
I currently have a manrose/Priceline fan installed which needs replacing (this has over-run already).
IMG_20221108_103807870.jpg

I'm trying to replace with xpelair vx100T (timer) as shown below
IMG_20221108_103842374.jpg

I just cannot get it to work - I've tried straight L & N, Tried to loop the L to SL but cannot seem to get it to work.

I have also tried the standard version of the xpelair using just L&N and this doesn't work either. There is not an issue with power as when I connect back to the original manrose fan it works again.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Can't see SL.....

Is that Manrose model the one with a separate unit?
That's the only way a two-wire fan would have an over-run.

If so, you can either fit the same kind of unit or run a three core to the fan position.

Sponsored Links
I think your Manrose fan is SELV, IE 12V.

You need another SELV fan that works with two wires, or else you need to rewire the feed to the fan to make it low voltage (IE 230V) three core and earth, in other words, permanent live, switched live and neutral.

Can't see SL.....

Is that Manrose model the one with a separate unit?
That's the only way a two-wire fan would have an over-run.

If so, you can either fit the same kind of unit or run a three core to the fan position.
So I find the separate unit (presumably in the loft space) and what? Open it up and replace the fan wiring with a 3 core..?

I think your Manrose fan is SELV, IE 12V.

You need another SELV fan that works with two wires, or else you need to rewire the feed to the fan to make it low voltage (IE 230V) three core and earth, in other words, permanent live, switched live and neutral.
Ok so I could just get a new selv fan and no need to change any wiring with that?

If the Manrose fan is SELV, the separate unit will convert the incoming voltage from low (in this case 230V) to extra low (in this case 12V).

You don't need the separate unit if you are connecting a 230V fan to the wiring, but you do need to extend the existing feed that goes to the primary side of the separate unit to the fan position.

Or you can go and buy another Manrose SELV fan and controller, yes.

Well, as I mentioned, I don't know of other brands that make SELV fans that have a two wire link between the control box and the fan.

But if you find one, then yes, you could use another brand.

If not, you would need to replace the cable.

If you go down the SELV route, you would need to swap the control box if you change brands and if you buy Manrose again, it would make sense to swap the old control unit for the new one, even if they were identical.

Well, as I mentioned, I don't know of other brands that make SELV fans that have a two wire link between the control box and the fan.

But if you find one, then yes, you could use another brand.

If not, you would need to replace the cable.

If you go down the SELV route, you would need to swap the control box if you change brands and if you buy Manrose again, it would make sense to swap the old control unit for the new one, even if they were identical.
Ok - purchased a new SELV from air vent - connected and working perfectly - thanks for your help it's greatly appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back