Extractor is this faulty

My previous post was about a faulty extractor, which I replaced with a working one from the bathroom. This is now working fine in the ensuit as it should do.
So I have just got a replacement which is an Xpelair VX100T.
I installed it, not working, I have wired it on a bench as attached image, still not working. I have connected N & T together. I get 240v across L & N & across L & T. (I used yellow/green wire & coloured it black for timer.View attachment 249756

Is it me or the unit?
I have the same model, and gave up on it, as timer didn't seem to work. You say you connected L and T, but that looks like a repurposed earth wire in T, and I don't see a bridging wire between L and T in that picture. Were you using a three wire Live, Neutral, Earth, cable with a bridging wire between L and T (doesn't seem to be pictured) or not? Wired as pictured, did you get it running continually, or does the timer actually work?

Best I could achieve with what looks like your same 3 cable L, N, E, was it either running continuously with the live plugged into L or switching off with the light (no over-run or timer facility) with the live connected to T. I was told that a seperate switched live would be required in addition to the live in L in order for the timer to function.

If you did use a bridging wire between L and T what was the result? If OP isn't around the forums any longer, than anyone else have thoughts on how to wire this to the cable that seems to be pictured, as it seems to be the same one that is attached to my current fan which is stuck on running continuously. I bought this one with the timer as I know for a fact the same wires did work with a timer fan that got noisy, so I replaced it with the current timerless fan, and not been able to replace that with the model pictured that is supposed to have a timer.

I've had people say a timer fan should have four wires, or at least two Lives (one on the same circuit as the lightswitch (to T), and one continuously live (to L). The earth wire is not required as an earth in a plastic fan, but can it be coloured and repurposed as the switched Live needed for the timer? (I know it's potentially techincally against regs but in some cases sparkys have apparently done it successfully). In my case, I was considering doing what the OP appears to have done in the picture, which is connect the old earth cable to the T connection. Would it function as a switched live?

I do have a multi-meter to test voltages if necessary, but seeking general thoughts based on experience preferably, before pulling the always on fan out of the wall again, if all this one is going to do is run continuously. I might just wire it to switch off with the light, but I would prefer if the timer could be made to work.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back