Expelair VX100T timer query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
fan.jpg
View attachment 147122 Trying to get the timer working on an Expelair VX100T. There's a single live, a neutral, and earth cable from the socket the previous fan was wired to.

Wiring the live to the L on the new fan causes it to run continuously. Wiring the live to the T causes the fan to switch on and off with the light and the timer doesn't work.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Trying to get the timer working on an Expelair VX100T. There's a single live, a neutral, and earth cable from the socket the previous fan was wired to.
You cannot then. It requires a permanent live to L, a switched live to T and a neutral to N.

Wiring the live to the L on the new fan causes it to run continuously.
Are you sure?
Wiring the live to the T causes the fan to switch on and off with the light and the timer doesn't work.

If you mean live to both L and T, that's how it will work because live to L is switched off with the light.

Just wiring live to T, and not L, it should do nothing.

You need a 3 core and earth cable going to the fan for this to work.

Trying to get the timer working on an Expelair VX100T. There's a single live, a neutral, and earth cable from the socket the previous fan was wired to. Wiring the live to the L on the new fan causes it to run continuously. Wiring the live to the T causes the fan to switch on and off with the light and the timer doesn't work. Any ideas?
I can't really make sense (see below) of what you're experiencing, but if the supply cable has just a single 'live' cable, then you will not be able to get the timer to run as intended - since to do that you need both a permanent live and a 'switched live' (switched by the light switch.

If the one L you have were a 'switched live', I would expect the behaviour you describe when you connect it to both L and T - but it would then probably not work at all (and certainly not when the light was off) if you just connected it to the L.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
"The brown wire is Live (also know as permanent live), this brings the live supply to the switch. The blue wire is known as the Switched Live and takes power to the light. Switched Live is only live when the switch is on (this is where it gets its name from)."

fan.jpg

Last edited:
Leaving aside the obvious for the moment - where is the neutral, then?

Ok, the blue wire is the neutral... but the source I quoted says that it is the switched live. What is the obvious that you are leaving aside?

The previous fan used to switch on and off with the light with a few minutes delay. I appreciate the responses, but from the pic I posted can anyone tell me how to actually wire this so the timer works or is it not possible with this model of fan?

The previous fan used to switch on and off with the light with a few minutes delay. I appreciate the responses, but from the pic I posted can anyone tell me how to actually wire this so the timer works or is it not possible with this model of fan?
As has been said, it's not the model of fan which is the issue - if it's a timer fan, then it must be possible for it to provide the functionality you want. The issue is the cable, and how many wires there are in it. For a timer fan to work, you need the permanent live, switched live and neutral, and there should also be an earth - hence 4 wires in total (3 + earth). However, it's been known for some people to adopt the 'naughty' (and potentially dangerous) practice of using the 'earth' wire (green/yellow or bare) of a 3-core cable as a 'switched live' - so, if you've only got a 3-core cable, perhaps that is what was done.

Kind Regards, John

Ok, the blue wire is the neutral... but the source I quoted says that it is the switched live.
The source you quoted says that it is a switched live in the example drawing they used.

Wires don't know what colours they are, and will behave on the basis of how you connect them up, not their colour.

If whoever installed that cable did not use blue as a switched live, then it is not a switched live, no matter how many drawings you look at where it is.

However, it's been known for some people to adopt the 'naughty' (and potentially dangerous) practice of using the 'earth' wire (green/yellow or bare) of a 3-core cable as a 'switched live' - so, if you've only got a 3-core cable, perhaps that is what was done.
Hands up anybody who thinks the instructions for the fan show the middle terminal as the earth connection.

upload_2018-8-23_11-43-31.png

Has anyone mentioned that -

even if done wrongly, it should be wired in exactly the same way as the old fan.

How was the old one connected?

Hands up anybody who thinks the instructions for the fan show the middle terminal as the earth connection.
Not only that but, although I have yet to find the full instructions for a VX100T, there are umpteen 'wiring diagrams' out there. All look similar/identical, none seem to show the same terminal arrangement as in the OP's photo, and none show a connection for an earth. I therefore wonder whether (a) the photo the OP has showed us really is of a VX100T and (b) ...
However, it's been known for some people to adopt the 'naughty' (and potentially dangerous) practice of using the 'earth' wire (green/yellow or bare) of a 3-core cable as a 'switched live' - so, if you've only got a 3-core cable, perhaps that is what was done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back