Expelair VX100T timer query

Sponsored Links
If you put the perm live into the switched live terminal, then the on/off state of the light switch is no longer relevant ...
True, in the sense that (if nothing is connected to the L terminal of the fan) the fan will never work, no matter what the state of the switch. For the fan to work, there has to be electricity supplied to the 'L' terminal of the fan.

Kind Regards, John

True, in the sense that (if nothing is connected to the L terminal of the fan) the fan will never work, no matter what the state of the switch. For the fan to work, there has to be electricity supplied to the 'L' terminal of the fan.

Kind Regards, John

I was pretty sure that when I installed my humidistat and PIR fan, I only connected it to the switched live, and ignored the live terminal. The fan runs off the mains ring via a fused RCD rather than the light switch.

Perhaps my memory is failing me...

Surely if I had bridged the live and switched live connectors, the fan would never stop.

#confused

I was pretty sure that when I installed my humidistat and PIR fan, I only connected it to the switched live, and ignored the live terminal. The fan runs off the mains ring via a fused RCD rather than the light switch.
I don't know if they are made like this but if it had integral PIR and humidistat perhaps it didnt have a timer and only had one L connection.

Surely if I had bridged the live and switched live connectors, the fan would never stop.
That's true - until switched off.

Sponsored Links
I don't know if they are made like this but if it had integral PIR and humidistat perhaps it didnt have a timer and only had one L connection.
I wondered that since, as you imply, if it had just a PIR and humidistat (but no timer) then it wouldn't need a switched live (only a permanent live). However, I decided that this was unlikley, because we had been told ...
...Wiring the live to the T causes the fan to switch on and off with the light ..
... which surely means that one of the conductors must have been a switched live (and, presumably, that a permanent L was also present, and connected to the other fan terminal).

Kind Regards, John

That's true - until switched off.

I am pretty sure that it had a total of three terminals and that I ignored the switched live (because there was no switched live). Timer over run, yeah it has one. There are only two adjustable knobs the time and humidity level. It is an Icon 60 with the hm and PIR module.

And now that I think about it. My other bathroom has an expelair fan with a humidisat but no PIR. Again I decided against running it through the light switch and used a fused RCD and ran the supply to two separate switches, basically branching a permanent live and pseudo switched live. One switch is always open to allow the humidistat to kick in, the other switch is only used in the event of needing to make "smells" go away.

Ah, I'd not noticed the change in discussant and fan - apologies!

Kind Regards, John

Apologies to both you and EFL for muddying the water.

I appreciate that my fans are not regular fans with an over run.

I am pretty sure that it had a total of three terminals and that I ignored the switched live (because there was no switched live). Timer over run, yeah it has one. There are only two adjustable knobs the time and humidity level. It is an Icon 60 with the hm and PIR module.
Maybe, but if it had no switched live connected to it, it obviously could not display the normal sort of timer functionality (over-run for a set period of time after light turned off), since it couldn't know when the light was turned off!

Are you sure that the 'time' knob did not relate to the PIR, rather than a run-on-timer?

Kind Regards, John

I am pretty sure that it had a total of three terminals and that I ignored the switched live (because there was no switched live).
Ah. That's different than what you said before.
I was pretty sure that when I installed my humidistat and PIR fan, I only connected it to the switched live, and ignored the live terminal.
It would work with just the permanent live connected as the PIR and humidistat just trigger the timing device internally - as they work without the switched live, i.e. when the light is not on.

The timer being reset all the time until the PIR and/or humidistat turn off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back