Help with fitting dimmer switch, PLEASE!

How much does it cost to get the wiring inspected, roughly?
If I end up having to get an electrician to fit the blasted dimmer switch, I would probably get them to check that as well.

I live in Glasgow.

Sponsored Links
How much does it cost to get the wiring inspected, roughly?
If I end up having to get an electrician to fit the blasted dimmer switch, I would probably get them to check that as well.

I live in Glasgow.

Don't give up so easily, it will be easy to fix. C'mon, have a bit of faith in yourself. Just don't take any risks.

unfortunately can't say.. it's a trade secret.. ;) :LOL:
no really, we'd have no idea since we don't live in the area and haven't seen the job.. you might live in a 1 bed flat in which case it's fairly fast and fairly cheap, you might on the otherhand live in a large 6 bedroom house with 3 floors and a cellar converted into an IT room / office, in which case it may take a day or 2 to do it all..
add to that the fact that a sparky charges different up there to down here and we charge different to them over there and those lot down south and you get the picture..

if you can do us a photo of the wires and the new switch we could diagnose and advise a little bit better..

yes but it will take some investigation, a multimeter, some terminal blocks and some common sense? do you have any of these things? ;)

you need to find which red is the switch wire from the 3 you have..

with a multimeter set to continuity ( and the power off ), at the light, connect the red to the earth wire.
now test between the earths in the switch and the reds until you get 0 on the meter ( or close to it ) and / or the meter beeps at you..

this red is the switch wire.. put a mark on it with a markerpen or something so you don't loose it..

put the light back how it was before you continue.
now..

the wire you just found is the switch wire this goes in whichever is the switch wire hole on the dimmer ( might be marked as L1, or maybe OUT etc.. consult your dimmer instructions to see which )

the remaining reds go together in the live of the dimmer ( might be marked as ~, IN, LIVE, COM etc, again consult your dimmer instructions. )

the blacks are all neutrals and go together in some terminal block in the back of the box..

earths together and to anything metal ( if it's a plastic box and plastic dimmer, stick them in a terminal block like the neutrals and tuck into the back of the box. )

can anyone explain this to me. i'm just about to attempt to fit the switch. just not too confident with my new multi meter
i.d really appreciate any help given

Sponsored Links
are all three blacks together in a connector block? are all the earths connected together? so you have three red wires at the switch. are any of the ends doubled over by any chance?
if you have one end doubled over that will go on one side of the switch and the others the other side. the manufacturers instructions may say the switch has to wired one particular way round.

is the new switch metal? if so make sure it is connected to earth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back