help! with kidde smoke alarm wiring install

Sponsored Links
As mentioned, you use twin and earth from mains to first detector, then you 3 core and earth from here to all other detectors.

You cannot use the earth wire as anything else, it could be dangerous if anyone spliced into that cable thinking it was earth wire.

All the earth wires in the circuit must be connected throughout it's entire run. They must also be sleeved with green and yellow sleeving.

Just get the correct cable.

Can I ask why the CPC must be connected throughout its entire run?

Sponsored Links
I am wondering if the OP has also taken on board the advice from the manufacturers about where to fit the alarms in order that they are effective in detecting smoke. Fitted in the wrong place and they will not react until several minute later than they would have done if fitted in the right place.

And a reason for ensuring the CPC is continous and connected to earth at the consumer unit is primarily safety but also un-connected length of CPC in alarm wiring have been considered as the cause of false triggering. They can, if not earthed, act in a similar way (in lay man's term ) to an aerial picking up electrical noise in one area and taking it to the sensitive alarm in a different area.

And a reason for ensuring the CPC is continous and connected to earth at the consumer unit is primarily safety but also un-connected length of CPC in alarm wiring have been considered as the cause of false triggering. They can, if not earthed, act in a similar way (in lay man's term ) to an aerial picking up electrical noise in one area and taking it to the sensitive alarm in a different area.

For smoke detectors and light fittings with transformers I now fit these http://www.fastlec.co.uk/click-ct10...-p-8423.html?zenid=p6up5m95qujp5n2djajrrjura3
Makes testing much easier and its somewhere to strap down the earth wire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back