Help with light switch please! Rocker in wrong position.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are in the process of changing all our light switches for nice new ones and today have hit our first problem which I hope someone can help me with.

The switch in question has 3 rockers. The first and third (from Left to Right) are 2 way, the middle is 1 way. The replacement plate connections were the same as on the old one, so I just wrote down the old colours/locations and wired them up the same.

First: Comm = Red, L1 = Blue, L2 = Yellow
Second: Comm = Red, L1 = Yellow
Third: Comm = Black, L1 = Blue, L2 = Yellow

Everything turns on and off from each location, the only problem I have is that the third rocker is in the wrong position (ie off when the light is on).

I know that it wasn't like this when the old switch was on there, but I have no idea what to do with it next. Any help would be so very much appreciated!

282fczm.jpg

Sponsored Links
Firstly, the blue, yellow and black wires should be sleeved in red.

Either swap the yellow and blue on the third switch or on the other switch other switch on the two-way circuit - or simply flip the other switch.

Firstly, the blue, yellow and black wires should be sleeved in red.

Either swap the yellow and blue on the third switch or on the other switch other switch on the two-way circuit - or simply flip the other switch.

Well done that man. Don't waste your time changing any of the wiring. What you describe is expected behaviour for a 2W circuit.

Sponsored Links
I thought about swapping them but wasn't 100% sure if I should. Thank you so much, that now works perfectly!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back