Help with measuring and fitting side gate.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I would like to fit a new wooden side gate.

The gap is 90 cm wide in total brick wall to pebbledash garage.

The existing gate is a wrought iron gate attached without posts directly to walls.

I will need to attatch wooden posts for gate but need the opening to remain as wide as possible as I use it a lot for carrying things through to back of house,garden,etc.

I have seen a gate I like but cannot work out which size to go for.

One is 750 mm wide the other 800 mm wide.I understand you should allow 20 mm for hinges.

I do not want thick wooden posts however should I go for narrower or wider gate?

I was thinking of using redwood posts from Wickes,thickness 44 mm,do you think they will be ok if secured with masonry bolts using four fixings down length?

Also I want the posts and gate to match ,the gate is Scandinavian redwood,so would the Scandinavian posts from WIckes match?

The posts from the gate store are much more expensive hence me asking however if you think they would look out of place with gate I will bite bullet and purchase posts with gates also,however their width is 2 inches so bit wider.

Any help with measuring and buying right sizes of gate and posts would be greatly appreciated,many thanks.

Sponsored Links
750mm + 50mm + 50mm +20mm +20mm = 890mm
50mm timber, 20mm clearance all round might be a bit on the big side for clearance, but if you go for the 800mm
800mm + 44mm +44mm +10mm +10mm = 908mm
So that one seems a bit tight at 10mm clearance and 44mm timber. If the space is not square, you will have to plane the bigger gate to fit.

Click for help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back