Help with regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi I have had a company in to do a disabled adaptation wetroom paid for by the social work, now question is this I had 12v downlights in a pvc ceiling now ceiling was taken away and left with the old plasterboard ceiling with the 4xdownlights hanging down( new pvc ceiling going up when work is completed). Now I have these old 12v lights replaced with 240v led lamps in ip65 housings terminated with connector blocks with electrical tape wrapped round them.
Can I ask why no hoods or chocolate boxes ?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can I ask why no hoods or chocolate boxes ?

Yes you can ask, and the person to ask is the person who installed them. And if they do not provide answers or claim that tape around connector blocks is acceptable then have a conversation with the person(s) at Social Services who authorised the work.

Thanks so I take it it’s not up to standard, reason I didn’t ask was I was out when the electrician came to do the lights and test my electrics. I was told he switched breaker of and wired the lights and switched back on and left

Sponsored Links
No new pvc type ceiling will be around 100mm from existing plasterboard ceiling

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. Can I ask one more question how does an electrician do an electrical test on a house

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. Can I ask one more question how does an electrician do an electrical test on a house
That's really a 'subject', rather than a simple question (there are books written about it). An electrician assessing an electrical installation has to inspect most things and do several different types of tests, on each of the circuits in the house.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for taking the time to reply no text were done. Time for me contact the council then

Thanks for taking the time to reply no text were done.
The tests done when replacing existing lights for new ones would only take a few minutes - a massive difference from testing the entire installation, which would typically take several hours.

Fire hoods are almost never required in domestic installations.

Connectors should be contained in some kind of enclosure, typically something like this: https://www.screwfix.com/p/chocbox/54936

That is not correct, they are required between floors in blocks of flats. And in any individual house above two floors.

That also is not correct.

They are required if the ceiling is a fire barrier. This is often found between floors in blocks of flats, where each flat has been constructed as separate fire compartments. Fire barrier ceilings are found in many other places, not just flats. For example: the ceiling of a garage that is integrated into a house.

One mans ceiling is another mans floor.
Well, it may not be.

Now, I knew what you meant and sometimes you know what you mean

BUT

The ONLY reason that I mentioned it is because this is supposed to be a DIY forum (exept for the skirmishes that you and others cause).

I added the correct and additional information because RobTi may not know all of this. And it could be vital to ensuring that fire barriers are maintained.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back