Help with running tv aerial cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all, i have recently moved into a new place and although its been newly rewired they have only run aerial cable to the front room. I would like to put points in the 3 bedrooms upstairs. How am i best to do this please? Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Normal way would be a amplifier/distribution box fitted in the loft. Main aerial feed plugs in and you have the out puts to the other rooms. If your in a weak signal area go foor a good quality one they are a lot better than the cheepo ones

Split the aerial cable as close to the aerial as possible (normally in the loft)and run your cables from there.

You'll probably have to buy a splitter/booster if you want four 4 TV.s off the same point.

Cheers all, ive got the booster box, as daft as it sounds i wasnt sure if the aerial system worked on a ring similar to electrics. If its as simple as running seperate cable from the splitter/booster box in the loft to the 3 bedrooms then i shall jump to it!!! Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
I've got a Loft Box - b100dy brilliant they are!

You feed your aerial connection in, sky connection in, FM connection in, DAB connection in and, if you have it, CCTV connection in.

Obviously not everyone has all of the above but it can take one or all or any combination in between.

Primary feed goes out to living room through ONE co-ax cable where it is terminated in a triplexing wall plate which splits all the signals. You then feed your sky box, freeview box (or whatever else needs an RF frequency) etc. A cable then return back to the wall plate and a cable returns to the loft box (this returning cable carries pictures shown on your sky box, freeview box, dvd etc).

You now have all signals and pictures in your loft box which has 4 or eight outputs to feed other rooms, using triplexing wall plates.

You can now watch normal TV in any of the supplied rooms or you can use the RF signal to supply an additional freeview box for digital TV. You can also watch sky in each room (restricted to whatever is being watched in the primary room). The Global Loft Box is compatible with the Sky Magic Eye too allowing you to control Sky in whatever room is supplied with signals.

Sounds complicated and expensive but it really isn't.

Fred

Why do you need a triplex outlet at each room location, I understood that they were needed only for the main room area to cope with multiple RF (sky, CCTV, freeview, modulated DVD and VHS).

Ta

Have much the same system as Fred (was about to suggest - but Fred got there first). Ours is main feed -> lounge though Freeview and Video then split by a low gain amp to TV and back up to loft, from loft distribution amp to rest of house.

Means other TVs can see the current Freeview channel, VIDEO and DVD (via the AV input on the video -> RFout).

If you need to run a lead back up into the loft, the easy route I found was behind a drain pipe. Our drain pipes are black, so it's attached to the drain pipe by black insualation tape. Can't see the tape from more than a metre away and you need to be flush with the house wall to see the lead up the back of the pipe.

Chri5,

Ahhh, of course - my mistake :oops: .

I think I meant an outlet plate that has differing outlet plug thingies but that isn't necessarily triplexing.

I've got a complex one in the living room with several outlet thingies and then in all other rooms I've got a plate with three connections (TV, SAT & FM). There's no DAB on any of the remote ones.

The SAT outlet works if it's necessary to supply a multiroom SKY box but if wanting to watch the same Sky channel that's on in the living room then that can be done through the TV connection by way of RF frequency.

So, you're right - triplexing is only necessary in the primary room - I think.

Well spotted

Fred.

Thanks for the quick response.

One trick for pumping DVD / Freeview is to try and get modulated RF units.

Freeview boxes from Humax are all modulated, DVD tends not to be so you either have to buy a modulator (about £40), buy a combined DVD / VHS unit or piggy back the DVD with a VHS which does have modulated RF out (thumbs up emoticion-LOL).

Also avoid using the poor quality old hollow style aerial cable, the 75 ohm satellite stuff is best.

Fred, I want one of these loft boxes now!!! Where did you get it and roughly how much are they? I may as well do it properly now while i have the chance eh!

Fabien,

Got mine from eBay.

Buy it now:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TV-LINK-8-Way...yZ101365QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Auction:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TV-LINK-8-WAY...ryZ73383QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That buy it now's a pretty good price. They have a four way for £8 less but it's probably worth buying the 8 way so you've got expandability.

You'll also need your wall plates. Figure £15 - £20 for the main wall plate and £5 - £10 for the additional rooms. You'll obviously also need mounting boxes for the face plates but they're pence. Obviously too, you'll need co-ax. Maplins cheapest in my experience.

Although it's called a loft box it doesn't necessarily need to go in the loft. It needs a power supply (from a socket) so I just stuck mine in the cupboard under the stairs.

Fred

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Cheers Fred for those links. Im gonna get on the case. The last thing im unsure of is what kind of plate i would need in the main living room? For the bedrooms the plate with the 3 sockets (TV Sat and FM) will do the job but what kind of plate is required for the main room. Ta mate.

A tri-plexing wall plate. It splits the signals that have been sent from the loft box down the single co-ax cable.

Satcure, http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page15.htm , do the loft boxes too for a similar price to that eBay seller. You can also view the range of wall plates etc and probably get loads more info on what you need where.

All seems complex at first but once you've installed one you're laughing and you'll wonder what the confusion was about.

Satcure are one of the best sites and suppliers for TV amps, cable and components.

The owner is a really nice bloke and I'll always use them, because of favours done in the past. The favour was to do with Telewest / NTL cable TV and that Sky Red eye doesn't work on TW / NTL boses due to a different type of IR signal.

The £5 e-book / download is £5 very a very good reference source :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back