Help with simple light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed a simple pull switch and bulb holder in my loft.

To get power to it, I broke into the existing circuit and added two connector units and about 10 metres of lighting twin & earth.

My problem is that the bulb lights, but only at about 1/4 of it's expected brightness. Also when I turn it on it doesn't come on immediately, it slowy gets brighter as if I were turning up a dimmer switch.

Any idea what the problem might be ?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
It sounds like you have not connected into a supply cable, but into a switch wire. When the light is lit, does switching any of the lights on below cause the loft light to extinguish? Likewise, are any of the lights below dimly lit when the loft light is on? If this is the problem, you need to (after powering off the ckt) disconnect the loft light from this circuit and make it good again by using a junction box. Next step is to find a supply cable. Follow the switch wire until it either enters a light fitting or a junction box. If it goes into a light it is likely loop in lighting, see Sticky, Connect is as shown. If it goes into a JB and then to a light you will need to identify which one or two of the cables are supply wires. Identify which cable leaves the JB to the light. On this cable, identify where the neutral goes in the JB. Connected to the neutral their should either be one or two other neutral wires. The live wire(s) in the cable(s) should go to the switch wire. This is the supply cable(s). Now you can hopefully connect your loft light into a supply cable.

That could be it, I'll have a look this afternoon.

Thanks for your help.

Had me scratchin my head all night !!

Sponsored Links
You Beauty !!

Hard to type this with the purple dot in the middle of my retina from the brightness of my newly wired light.

An obvious mistake, well spotted mate.

I'll open a beer in your honour......

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back