Help with skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi this is my first post here so please forgive me if this has been disscussed already but looking for some help quickly,

i'm only 19 years old and have just finished a 2year carpentry course i've been out of work since college but trying to get some work i rang a local builder up and he wants me to cut and fix skirting for a room for him on wednesday (its monday now) and to be honest i'm quite nervous this will be my first job i've done for someone and he expects it to be done professinally.

can an experianced carpenter please give tips on what not to do and problems might occur as an unexperianced chippy.

i'm going to guy buy some off cuts and practise before wednesday

Sponsored Links
you know the usual then but here's the reminder :p

scribe internals

undercut the scribe 2 degrees

no gap bigger than 0.5mm

few joins are ever exactly 45% most walls lean

use a plank to push the skirting down for small gaps

try and avoid the first or last 6" as these can be unevenly moulded if not properly supported onto or off the moulder

check the old and new sections are identical before fixing into place as each length can be slightly different

joins along a wall should be angled at 45% away from the main area in the room if no main area angle away from the light

so what are you going to be doing after 10 oclock?????????? :LOL: :LOL:

you have obviously explained to him your experience or lack of it?
so he should be fairly understanding?
take your time,and if he is there with you DO NOT be afraid to ask questions and ask for tips/tricks etc.
when i started out,i was always honest with those who i approached for work,i would rather be kicked off the job through lack of experience then be kicked off because i tried BLUFFING and ruining any joinery i was working on.

oh 1 tip that is passed down the generations,MEASURE TWICE CUT ONCE

so what are you going to be doing after 10 oclock?????????? :LOL: :LOL:

oh 1 tip that is passed down the generations,MEASURE TWICE CUT ONCE

nah just use ryobi :D :D ;)

yep good advice although whilst your learning measure 3 times :cool:

Sponsored Links
bosch blue bosch blue bosch blue bosch blue bosch blue,

or BLUE BOSCH :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back