Help with tools for fixing mdf skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I intend to have a go at scribing my wickes 4 inch mdf skirting.
Am i correct in saying i need to buy a coping saw. Also, please can you tell me what nails i would need to bang to hard plaster wall to hold in place alongside the no nails (in my experience of this it always springs out in places)
I also have never scribed before but have looked at how to do it! Would it be easier for me to get the profile by drawing the ogee profile on the reverse on the flat side to make it easier for cutting?
Also, when i am fixing the architrave (am using no nails again) what sort of pins would i need to put a few in round the edge to dix to the door frame?
I am leaving for the diy store early thismorning.
Oh i also forgot, is there something in say B&Q that i can but that would have the profiles on for scribing. What do you chippies use for doing this?
Thanks in Advance!
Lorraine. (this is going to take me ages...LOL :rolleyes: .

Sponsored Links
Hi Lorraine

Am I correct in saying I need to buy a coping saw.
Yes, a coping saw is the right tool.

Also, please can you tell me what nails I would need to bang to hard plaster wall to hold in place alongside the No Nails (in my experience of this it always springs out in places).
It is very difficult to get any nails to adhere to plaster. Is this a "hard" wall (i.e. masonry) or is it a stud wall. I've rarely had to resort to secondary fixing, but the traditional way was to knock wooden wedges in between the masonry and nail through (opval nails, btw). If it's a stud wall then you need to locate the studs and nail through into them. Nail heads should be punched under and filled. I'd avoid screws as you tend to destroy the skirting if you ever need to get it out and the heads are so much larger that they are always noticeable. I'd also avoid No Nails and use either Pink Grip or if more gap filling is required an expanding urethane foam (use extremely sparingly)

I also have never scribed before but have looked at how to do it! Would it be easier for me to get the profile by drawing the ogee profile on the reverse on the flat side to make it easier for cutting?
Back chamfer the piece yoi are going to scribe first. Butt and offcut up against it and mark the profile on the front. Then cut.

Also, when I am fixing the architrave (am using No Nails again) what sort of pins would I need to put a few in round the edge to fix to the door frame?
If you insist, then use panel pins. Punch under the surface using a nail set and fill using a stopping or wood filler.

I am leaving for the diy store early this morning.
Oh dear, late again

Oh i also forgot, is there something in say B&Q that i can but that would have the profiles on for scribing. What do you chippies use for doing this?
Not really. I just use an offcut and a pencil

Good luck

Scrit

Another way if you have a mitre block,

Cut the skirting board at 45 degree,
45-deg-back.gif

then cut out the section,
cut-back.gif

Like this
scribe-cutout.gif

Bingo!
section-view.gif

Hurrah for the above diagram .

From this dayI say ,this diagram shall be cast in stone and NEVER removed from this forum :D :D ;)

Sponsored Links
Heheheee....love the diagram too, but i can mitre with a saw but wanted a better finish with the scribe.
I have JUST finished...taken all flippin day. Had to plane a bit here and there...floor up and down like a yoyo....me and hubby at each others throats...THANK GOD he has gone to bed now!
It took a bit of practice and after 2 scribes i had the hang of it. Shame the floor was so far out in places...wasnt that confident to plane too much off and make it worse. Had to laugh when i started with the door arc...I cut the top bit with the wood the wrong way round...it took me 10 minutes to work out what i had done wrong..LOL...
It hasnt all come out too bad though...nearly as good as what i paid chippies to do in my hallway.
Thanks for your replies...hmmmmm where is my caulk gun (only a little bit to hide mind you!)
Cheers All
Lorraine...the next generation chippie (no good on price work though)

splinter said:
Hurrah for the above diagram .

From this dayI say ,this diagram shall be cast in stone and NEVER removed from this forum :D :D ;)

agreed :)
a picture paints a thousand words
or in my case several thousand :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ;)
[and that only the undercutting :LOL: ]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back