Help with why my combi boiler has a dual programmer?

Apologies, you said that in a previous post didn't you.

Unless the thermostat controls a wireless TRV or a 2 port valve that just zones the front room then yes it would control the whole system.

yes there’s a salus two port valve on the second floor beneath the floor boards. Only reason I know this is because it started ticking yesterday after my boiler was serviced. Blue box thing, I had no clue what it was

Sponsored Links
The white wire in terminal 3 is the HW on wire, that is wired up as a system/heat only boiler not a combi

So which colours would you suggest where on the hive?

Attachments

• 2D0E34DA-E44A-44F0-8548-62EF40A2945E.png
    2D0E34DA-E44A-44F0-8548-62EF40A2945E.png
    58.7 KB · Views: 59
Sponsored Links
So which colours would you suggest where on the hive?
Not as straight forward as that as you have said you have a zone valve and your wiring is set for a system and not a combi , post a pic of your boiler, it could be that someone has wired the HW on to power the thermostat that you refer to that heats the bedroom, but I am only guessing because I havent seen it

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Not as straight forward as that as you have said you have a zone valve and your wiring is set for a system and not a combi , post a pic of your boiler, it could be that someone has wired the HW on to power the thermostat that you refer to that heats the bedroom, but I am only guessing because I havent seen it

okay thanks for the input mate, I’ll get some more pictures when I’m back home from work. Anything pictures in particular which would be more helpful?

Just the boiler, one of the zone valve would be helpfull, but realise it may not be accessable, if you do indeed have a combi boiler the wiring of the single channel hive is straight forward but how you are going to wire in that zone valve and individual thermostat is not so straight forward as we dont know how it is wired in

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Just the boiler, one of the zone valve would be helpfull, but realise it may not be accessable, if you do indeed have a combi boiler the wiring of the single channel hive is straight forward but how you are going to wire in that zone valve and individual thermostat is not so straight forward as we dont know how it is wired in

I can get a picture of the valve the floorboard comes up easy enough in the spare room. I’ll also get a picture of the boiler cheers.

Just an update on the picture front.

so looking more closely at the zone valve the wires don’t seem to be connected but like I said previously I only found this due to it making a ticking noise after my boiler had been in service mode, this stopped after the heating come back on.

Attachments

• ADAE01D3-15F5-40D2-AED0-869827BB70B8.jpeg
    ADAE01D3-15F5-40D2-AED0-869827BB70B8.jpeg
    202.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 5D023C8E-ED57-42DE-87BD-03FCF96EEDAE.jpeg
    5D023C8E-ED57-42DE-87BD-03FCF96EEDAE.jpeg
    208.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 2C3D8F42-0445-4D45-A2BF-C12CC3AF9A24.jpeg
    2C3D8F42-0445-4D45-A2BF-C12CC3AF9A24.jpeg
    273.7 KB · Views: 297
Post a pic of the pipes on the underneath of your boiler please
Sorry I did take that photo just forgot to upload it.

Attachments

• 8739C965-4A0A-4A2C-B03B-DEC60235A5F1.jpeg
    8739C965-4A0A-4A2C-B03B-DEC60235A5F1.jpeg
    361.2 KB · Views: 68
Sounds like it is a Heath Robinson set up for a two zone system, you wont be able to use a hive single channel to operate this, you could use two single channel hives , do you really need the lounge on a seperate circuit ?

Sounds like it is a Heath Robinson set up for a two zone system, you wont be able to use a hive single channel to operate this, you could use two single channel hives , do you really need the lounge on a seperate circuit ?

Thanks for the update.

I’m not bothered about having the lounge on a separate circuit, so what would you suggest?

Two things, one no reason why a programmer designed for CH and DHW can't be used to work two zones, but second is this picture.
2c3d8f42-0445-4d45-a2bf-c12cc3af9a24-jpeg.211855
That black coiled up cable seems to have an orange core, so looks like the wires for the motorised valve, you said you heard it ticking, was that simply expansion of the pipes, or the valve moving, as to if when combi fitted pipe work left behind, or if it does some thing don't know, when my dad had new central heating fitted they left loads of the old pipe work in place, not connected to anything.

You clearly want better control, that boiler looks like the one my dad had, the electric control was simply, on or off, no opentherm or any other cleaver controls, however it was a modulating boiler and worked well with the radiator thermostatic valves (TRV) so all I did was fit electronic heads the the TRV's and controlled the heating that way. eQ-3 are cheap enough found them at £10 each, OK I used an expensive one the MiHome Energenie, I had intended to fit Nest, but when mother died we sold the house, so never fitted.

Hive User Guide said:
The Hive app gives you full control over your Hive Radiator Valves, including:

• setting a temperature for each radiator
  • setting a schedule to only heat rooms when you need to
  • connecting your Hive Radiator Valves to your other Hive devices using Actions
If you also have a Hive thermostat you can enable Heat On Demand to automatically boost your heating when a radiator needs heat.
From that is seems you can install Hive TRV heads without needing a Hive wall thermostat, so like I did with mothers house you can start with the TRV heads then if you still need it install the Hive wall thermostat latter. The big thing is to fit a TRV head is really easy, no wiring involved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back