Help with wiring a shaver light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought wiring up a shaver light would have been ver simple but it would seem not.

My old light fitted in 1992 was a metal box and when I have taken the back off there is the normal wiring for L, N and E which would be fine for my new plastic shaver light BUT there are also 2 additional much thicker earth wires attached to a bolt in the back of the old metal plate.

I am not sure what these relate to one might be to the shower

My question is what am I supposed to do with these cables?

I have uploaded a picture. Any help would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
If the new shaver light doesn't offer a usable earth connection, get a connector block and join all the earth wires (circuit protective conductors to give them their official title) with that.

PJ

If the new shaver light doesn't offer a usable earth connection, get a connector block and join all the earth wires (circuit protective conductors to give them their official title) with that.

PJ

Hi PJ first of all thanks for the response I have added pictures of both the new light connector block and a close up of the old earth wires. You will note that these wires are very much thicker than would be able to get into the small connector on the new appliance so I was wondering what can I do?

These thick wires are the bonding for the plumbing in the bathroom. You should get a 30amp connector block, and terminate them into this. From this also take a short piece of earth cable, and connect that into the shaver sockets earth connection, along with the existing smaller earth.

This will keep things as they are now.

Sponsored Links
phatboy thanks so much to you and PJ.

I actually understand what you mean but just to make sure the thick wires will be put into this extra connector block. And a thinner earth wire from this extra connector and the earth coming form the wire in the wall will go into the earth connector on the new light

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back