Help with wiring putting ceiling light back up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, our roof leaked and so I pulled off the ceiling light that water was coming in from and didn't bother checking to see how it was done. They came and fixed the ceiling and I went to put the light back up but realized it didn't make sense.

You can see attached photo, out of the ceiling are two wires, one red, one black. Tucked up inside and taped off I found a green wire, but it is taped shut and apparently was not being used.

on the ceiling light it has three Brown twisted together, three blue twisted together and a green/yellow wire coming off of the metal fixture itself.

My understanding is the brown go to the red and blue goes to the black, is that correct?

But what do I do with the yellow wire? Clearly it was attached to something before, but I don't know what.

Thank you for your help.

Sponsored Links
Should probably be asking this is in the Electrics Outside of the UK forum.

But I guess you just need to connect the two earth wires in a choc box as you have a metal fitting.

But I guess you just need to connect the two earth wires in a choc box as you have a metal fitting.

Thanks, by earth do you mean untape the the green in the ceiling and use it in the third spot or just connect the yellow in with the blue/black wires?

Thanks.

My understanding is the brown go to the red and blue goes to the black, is that correct?

But what do I do with the yellow wire? Clearly it was attached to something before, but I don't know what.

Thank you for your help.

Yes correct.

The green&Yellow earth wire on teh fitting must be connected to earth. It looks like an earth wire in the ceiling with the black tape, connect to that.
You'll need to confirm that is really connected to earth first of all!

Sponsored Links
The green&Yellow earth wire on teh fitting must be connected to earth. It looks like an earth wire in the ceiling with the black tape, connect to that.
You'll need to confirm that is really connected to earth first of all!

I guess previously it had been connected wrong then? Because it was not attached to the earth wire before. it is an older place and many things seem to have been done poorly by previous occupants.

It may have been that that the old fitting you removed did not need an earth connection.

Back