HEP 2 over copper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Me again.

Has anyone, any opinions on using HEP2 rather than copper for the domestic hot and cold in a new build.

I appreciate the benefits of speed and flexibility of HEP2 but is it robust enough and will it pass the test of time?

Sponsored Links
in simple terms NO hep and white speedfit have problems with their fittings hep has a problem with the grip rings breaking and not holding the pipes in the fittings, speedfit goes brittle after around 7 years and the fittings disintergrate

Fantastic, thanks

That seals it for me, copper all the way.

It was my initial choice, but the lure of a quick first fix got me thinking about plastic.

Thanks again.

Just to confuse matters, our house has alot of Hep2o in it and some has been there for about 12 years.
I think it's great and we have had no problems with it.

I personally like the fact that it is virtually indestructable, will take a nail, is semi insulted and is freeze proof.

Sponsored Links
it is also the meal of choice for rodents check out the ops location lots of rodents there some two legged ones as well :LOL:

True. Copper is the meal-ticket of choice for some of the 2-legged parasites. Horses for courses.

I've always found push-fit to be carp in comparison with the proper press-fit PEX, e.g.Rehau, but it is in odd sizes, you need an expensive tool and no-one uses it except for UFH.

If you want spped go stainless steel but be prepared to pay, the benefit is it will bend easily but because of the grade needed it is more expensive but less joints so can weigh out the same.

stainless requires a crimp tool and all connections are flat face.

As for plastic good luck :rolleyes:

Copper is the better for price although labour kills it, stainless more expensive but saves on labour, choice is yours really as it is your house.

I hadn't considered stainless, that may well be an option.

On reflection however, I would prefer to have the background knowledge of the plumber on hand.

As you all know a first fix is relatively straight forward, but when it comes to looped returns and pressurized cylinders, I would be more comfortable with the expert and, well, he prefers to work in copper.

So probably decision made.

Thanks to all who contributed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back